Turntables!!

Cabalistic

Hey, for my birthday next month, I'm looking forward to buying turntables, I'm not buying turntables for professional DJing or anything, just to fuck around with at home for fun...I have a budget of around 400 dollars

I'm thinking of getting the Gemini Scratchmaster 5.0 DJ Package (http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm)....Do you think this is what I should be looking for?

I also have questions about vinyl, does playing the same record alot damage the vinyl?? How bad does it damage it and how often is a good amount to play a record? Do I have to clean the records after every play? ect..

Stupid question: Turntables are big enough to play 12" singles, right?

Thank you for reading and if you can, helping

-Cabalistic

You ARE a young'n, aren't you?

Maybe repeated plays would damage wax cylinders but by the time modern 33 1/3 rpm lp's and 45 rpm singles, both 7" and 12", came around the brainaics had solved the problem of sound loss with every play.

If vinyl is well taken care of it's probably good for a minimum of 5000 spins. The main nemesis of vinyl is needle damage incurred by lifting the needle out of the groove roughly causing pops and clicks and scratches. When I worked at a used record store we used lighter fluid to make scratched records look and play better, but we knew we were shortening the life of the record substantially by doing so. If you can refrain from getting too excited - or too wasted - to take care of your vinyl collection while playing it, you and your turntables should be in for a long happy life together.

Now all you need to do is learn how to beatmix...

does scratching ruin the vinyl? thanks for the reply and helping, could you answer my other questions also too if its not too much, thanks!

I would really just save up another 100$ and get a real set of decks. A used pair of 1200s should be about $500. They will serve you faithfully for years and I really have yet to see a turntable that plays as well. Mine were built in 1984 and used 5 hrs a day for about 5 years and with normal service, they still run well even though I passed them on to a friend.

With those gemini's who knows but I would bet that used Technics will still work better and last longer

alright thanks, ill probly go for the 2 sl1200's

edit- also can you tell me if scratching ruins records?? cuz i just got the sorta hard to find Cage - Radiohead/Agent Orange 12" which i would really not like to ruin

Last edited:
Scratching records will wear them down, but you can minimize wear by having the headshell and tone arm set right

I would seriously pass and get used technics. Its a better investment. You will be lucky if you will be able get a $100 a piece when you sell those stantons. 1200s will sell for about what you bought them for.

scratching and dj cartridges are like fucking knives on vinyl. if i were going to be scratching and listening to vintage vinyl i would definitely have 2 different decks, and one would be a rega.

i decided to get the Gemini TT03's Do I have to buy cartridges seperately or do they come with the turntables? what other items do I need to buy such as vinyl cleaners and slipmats and stuff, what are other essential items i need?? thanks for the help

Back