Is there a difference between the line inputs of different interfaces?

guilhermecorrei

So, I know that the quality of the preamp of the XLR input changes from interface to interface, which leads to different qualities of recording. But what about the line input?

Are there interfaces with better line inputs than others? Why, and what does it do to the sound?

I'm asking this because I'm going to be a new interface very soon, and since I'll record a lot of bass through the line in, I want to make sure that it will be good.

Also, if there's really a difference, is the line in of the Focusrite 2i2 any good? Causa that's the interface I think I'll buy.

Thanks

A bigger issue than the quality of the electronics with that Focusrite is latency:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/804070-focusrite-scarlett-2i2-latency-issues.html

I've never heard anyone complain about the line in on that Focusrite, but a significant number report latency issues. Do a search about how recent their most recent driver is.

Back to line level. My understanding is that although line level of different pieces of gear varies, most of the new stuff is more or less running at similar voltages.
The bigger issue if you're going to be running bass into the interface is the difference between the line level of the interface and the instrument level of the bass. (That Focusrite unit you're looking at handles both kinds of input okay.) I don't know how much/how little you know about it though, and I certainly don't know much, so I'll stop here.

Back