TASCAM's VLX5 vs. M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors

sean.brown

So they're about the same in price, only 20w difference, and they both have tons of great reviews on the sites I've been to. Anyone have these or have experience with them to give me a little nudge in the right direction? Thanks!!!
Sean

both are going to be anemic from about 150Hz on down, so your low end is going to be difficult to judge.

i used the predecessor to the BX5's (the SP5B) for years and they were quite capable in the mids and highs, but the low end was always a guessing game. from the limited listens i had of the BX series, i didn't like any of em and thought the 5B's were better sounding. haven't heard the Tascams.

in the, you need to find a set that works for you.

cheers,
wade

The vl-x5s are specd to go down to 45Hz, i think, although i doubt this. I, however, don't believe that theres nothing below 150Hz. I've heard a lot of good things about the vl-x5s, and will be getting a pair.

both are going to be anemic from about 150Hz on down, so your low end is going to be difficult to judge.

i used the predecessor to the BX5's (the SP5B) for years and they were quite capable in the mids and highs, but the low end was always a guessing game. from the limited listens i had of the BX series, i didn't like any of em and thought the 5B's were better sounding. haven't heard the Tascams.

in the, you need to find a set that works for you.

cheers,
wade

i had sp-5b's and now have the tascams (looking to upgrade soon). music sounded better on the sp-5b's, but more "real" on the tascams. i think it has to do with me working in an untreated room (i do a lot of mixing on sennheiser hd600's). the highs and mids seem to be much clearer on the tascams to me.

Sean, just to mention that I'm helping a local musician set up his tiny studio, and I've listed the Tascams as one option. I'm just a musician, not a serious studio cat, but I like to listen and read a lot. I've never used the Tascams myself but keep reading rather positive reviews (value for price) of them.

But I've seen even better overall reviews of this little 5" model, which also also won Future Music's pro monitor shootout, held in Peter Gabriel's studio, last year. This Samson Rubicon r5a has a ribbon tweeter, and it took top honors in the lower price ranges of that shootout:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Samson_Rubicon_R5A_w_Free_R5AKIT.html

If I were shopping now, I'd have it on my short list to audition, and so I'm also suggesting it to my buddy. He may pick up both models and AB them.

Good luck,
J.

Sean, just to mention that I'm helping a local musician set up his tiny studio, and I've listed the Tascams as one option. I'm just a musician, not a serious studio cat, but I like to listen and read a lot. I've never used the Tascams myself but keep reading rather positive reviews (value for price) of them.

But I've seen even better overall reviews of this little 5" model, which also also won Future Music's pro monitor shootout, held in Peter Gabriel's studio, last year. This Samson Rubicon r5a has a ribbon tweeter, and it took top honors in the lower price ranges of that shootout:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Samson_Rubicon_R5A_w_Free_R5AKIT.html

If I were shopping now, I'd have it on my short list to audition, and so I'm also suggesting it to my buddy. He may pick up both models and AB them.

Good luck,
J.
They look pretty good, didn't read much about them though. They're £70 dearer than tascam vl-x5s though, and I'm i'm quite skint. So i think I'll get the tascams for now, then upgrade to an 8" pair.

Would you do me and my friend a favor and let us know your opinion once you get the Tascams? We'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
J.

i'd love to hear some of those Rubicons someone posted about... wish someone would just open a Monitor Store Only Mart, with every one made so a person could at least get a rough idea. it be a damn noisy store though?:confused:

i have the vl-x5 they are my first pair of monitors so i cant say what they are like against anything else but i can say they have been working really well for me and they are well built, bang for buck is A+++

i have the vl-x5 they are my first pair of monitors so i cant say what they are like against anything else but i can say they have been working really well for me and they are well built, bang for buck is A+++
What about bass response? How far down do they go?

i dont kno ive never tested it, dont even know how, cheak out a song i did in the mp3 mixing clinic forum and see what you think, bear in mind in a total novice

just wanted to interject a little and say I have the BX8's for four years now, people come in and ask if I have a sub...ya got to get use to any of them for translation...if you want more bass outta the system with out a sub, I'd suggest saving up a little more and buy some 8's....the Rubicons are interesting...so are Adams, I'd like to hear more about them too.

wish someone would just open a Monitor Store Only Mart, with every one made so a person could at least get a rough idea

I'm with you. So yesterday I took the 40-min drive to my local GC, and they have a new line of 6.5" active monitor for my friend to consider--Alesis 620s:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...rence_monitors?full_sku=103740866&src=4WFRWXX

Anyone here given them a listen yet? GC is asking $399/pair but would likely take 300-350 for them. Just too many monitors to audition.

J.

I just bought the Tascams. These are my first monitors so I don't have much to compare them by, but the sound I'm hearing is killer.

Back