tascam us-1800

jericho mile

i'm considering a tascam us-1800 interface, I've been using a 1in 1out interface for a few years now and now i'm need to move up to multi-tracking. i bought an m-audio fast track ultra and just could not get it going with win 7 and sonar 8.5 pro. Are any of you using the 1800 or know anything about it. thanks J.

i went from a smaller "two in" recently, and the Tascam 1641 (1800) worked perfect with my pc. great unit, great price.... around $260 with tax and shipping, used $175 CL.
running windows XP sp2. old AMD Athalon...CompaqSR1630nx...

just now switching from Kristal Audio Engine to Reaper, no issues yet.

I couldn't live without it actually. Rock solid unit. The fader is replaceable if it wears out. Works great for everything but the pan knob. It is not suited to Cubase. I hear it works fine on other DAW's though.

Oh, and got it used off Craigslist for $70. Way worth the money for the transport controls alone. :D

in responce to Jimmy's reply. can you control the effects in your daw with it like all the parameters on a software compressor or reverb unit or wwoul i need a separate control surface for that. i prefer to use the effects in my daw as opposed to hardware based effects simply because i already have them in sonar 8.5 pro and dont want to spend the money right now on hardware that i dont echnically need. i've heard the whole arguement about hardware being better than software but i dont complettely buy into that.

The Faderport will not control parameters within an effect. I have not ever found a need to do so with a controller. For me, the mouse works just fine for that. It will control features of your DAW. Transport controls, punch in/out, read/write, mixer view, solo, mute, pan, and of course fader level. These features alone will cut your mouse time in half. Not to mention workflow improvement by being able to use both hands.

I bought the US-1800 about a month ago and it works flawlessly. Haven't had a single problem yet. Only thing is that I wish I had got the 2000 for the inserts but that's no big deal, unless you really need them.

Grab it, use it, love it!

Can you please tell me how you have your 1800 connected. Me and another user here have been having some major popping problems that we can't seem to get fixed. Can you please let me know where you have it plugged in to, what driver you're using, your system, etc. Sorry for the request but I have owned it for 4 months. Sometimes it works and I am VERY happy with it but other times (even when I am running nothing other than winamp or itunes it starts this horrendous popping and then I need to turn the unit off and on. I am glad it's working for you and it seems great, but these dropouts and stuff are intolerable. Thanks!

I have the 1800(1641) plugged into the stock USB 2.0
there are no other USB devices plugged in and the internet is not connected.

my experience with popping was caused by other programs running.

I dont know anything about using it with iTunes or WinAmp.

Can you please tell me how you have your 1800 connected. Me and another user here have been having some major popping problems that we can't seem to get fixed. Can you please let me know where you have it plugged in to, what driver you're using, your system, etc. Sorry for the request but I have owned it for 4 months. Sometimes it works and I am VERY happy with it but other times (even when I am running nothing other than winamp or itunes it starts this horrendous popping and then I need to turn the unit off and on. I am glad it's working for you and it seems great, but these dropouts and stuff are intolerable. Thanks!

Giving your specs and more info on how you are using the 1800 might help to solve the issue.

I've had this unit for about four months. As an audio interface for recording it has worked fine. Presumably these things are supposed to function as a "sound card", and that's mostly true (otherwise Tascam wouldn't provide step by step instructions on how to set up audio to play iTunes through it!)

I'm using a Mac, and I have noticed one annoying tendency for the interface to disappear after the Mac has been in sleep mode, and I'm still not sure if this is an issue with the interface itself, the drivers, or the OS. I can usually reconnect it by switching the 1800 off and then back on again. However, I was playing a series of video clips in QuickTime the other day, and after about the third or fourth clip the interface disconnected and fell off the device list completely. Only rebooting the computer would restore the interface. This is weird. Again, I can't tell what's causing this behavior, or whether it's in any way related to the sleep mode issue. In any event, so long as I have it running for recording purposes it seems to be fine. I think assuming that it is a substitute for a soundcard is assuming too much, although I would prefer not to have to keep switching back and forth.

Ideally, your interface should be ran as the sole soundcard. I am not familiar with Mac but with Windows, you make the external the default device and completely disable the internal crap and never have any of these issues. Plus, a recording computer should never be allowed to 'sleep' anyway. Hell, I'm not even allowed to sleep for that matter. :D

Back