The Studio Progress Board

plipcolado

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a new recording studio tool I came upon through an ad: The Studio Progress Board.

unnamed (1).jpg

As you can see, it's a whiteboard with a huge table printed on it, which allows one to keep track of the songs/instruments to be recorded, as well as the progress on each one of those elements.

I'm thinking of ordering one myself, as I generally draw a table similar to this one on paper for every album I record. For 59€ I wouldn't have to draw another table again, and the larger surface allows everyone involved in the recording to easily figure out what the next steps are at a glance.

Anyway, if you want to know more check out their website: The Musician's Board - Home

Hope this is useful.
Cheers!

very cool....i like it.
i remember my first cassette of several songs.
the planning and preplanning made it happen and enjoyable and added to the song to song differences being better.

as compared to just being a un-planned and sloppy the mixing would be horrendous and re-recording with only emotional burns a person out. get it done fast method and then to resume the next day you dont even remember what amp sim was used and the noisy crap is on there because it was a fast sloppy emotional creative brain job run amuck and so trying to fix it all later is too much work and the buzz is gone anyway. re-recording the song 500 times ruins them for me too.

Planned Approach-
I think the Beatles first eng, NormSmith did the same setup every album, same mics so many inches from amp tone settings same...all planned out and they pumped out music fast to the HELP! album....

Crazy-Creative Approach-
Rubber Soul was similar but slightly changing...but then Revolver it really started changing and then it became Dewey Cox/Walk Hard and Sgt Pepper had the long creative anything goes and giraffes singing backup and recording cow farts backwards....totally unplanned chaos making the Eng-Geoff Emerick work his ass off....and to me thats another approach.

I always had a goal to be able to do a fast great sounding demo in HR leaving the song to be the focus not the gear hassle. like McCartneys "Come and Get It" a 1hr demo multitrack of 4 or so that sounds great, good enough.
60 minutes for a demo.

when it comes to recoding a acoustic guitar for example, it shouldnt need to be re-discovered and 4 weeks of attempts.
once planned out...you could do acoustic for all your tunes in one day...according to the planning board you have.
or have a bass player come in and do all the songs in one Bass setup day ..done in a few hours....not spend 12 weeks finding the bass "sound" every song.

I think thats a great idea and something overlooked....planning and a planning board and thought given to that to keep things moving and fresh and faster.

Back