Stepped up from 8track cassette "studio in a box" to 16 trk reel...need a mixer now!

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
Stepped up from 8track cassette "studio in a box" to 16 trk reel...need a mixer now!

Just bought an MSR-16 on ebay. Have had a 488 MKII for a few years now with some decent outboard processing. Anyone know what kind of ins/outs I will need in a mixer to hook up to the MSR-16? I'm sure I will need to hook all 16 channels out from the MSR into the respective 1-16 channel on the board for mixdown. Not sure what I need as a minimum going from the board into the recorder.
Anyway, in the market for a mixer now. Anything that would suit the MSR-16 in the $300 range used? Read good things via searches about Yamaha MG16 and Mackies. I'm afraid I could only afford one of the older CR1604s at this time, but any thoughts whether either of these has enough connectivity for the MSR-16? If not, any other suggestions?

Ideally you'd want a 32-channel board, but it'll be hard to find a good one for only $300. 24 channels might suffice.

Why so many channels for 16 tracks?
(p.s.-I tried to delete the double thread...I got an administrator message that I don't have enough priveledges to make that action. If I could, I would!)

I'm making a couple of assumptions here when I recommend that many channels, and I didn't ask you some pertinent questions.

Are you recording just yourself or do you record other people as well?

Are you planning to record mutiple tracks at a time?

The reason for so many channels is convenience. For example, when my Tascam 38 was still working, I used the inserts on channels 1-8 on my Mackie 1604 to send signals to the 8-track. I then used channels 9-16 to monitor. So it's a real time saver to be able to record and monitor without swapping cables, changing settings, etc.

In think two at a time will be the most I send to the recorded in the foreseesble (couple of years) future. I have a DM Pro kit, so that eliminates need for multiple drum mics. Other than that, usually a track at a time, though I will probaly double most tracks as I record to double up on tape width (when I'm only needing 8 or 9 tracks, which will be most of the time).

That said. I should probably look at 20-24 channels and something with output on at least the first two, preferably the first four.
Any ideas used in the $300 range?

No ideas? Let me throw out what I am considering, then...older Mackie Cr1604, New (as I can't fing any used ones yet, or at least not worth the price drop of buying new) Yamaha MG16/4, or Behringers new SL series 24 whatever it is. Did get to play with the latter, and it doesn't seem to bad for a "mixer that I will upgrade eventually". May go to digital someday, but right now I still dig analog, and just need a temp home solution for that. Money is a factor, as I am not professionally recording for other people and don't plan to be in the foreseeable future. If I did that, I would likely go digital. For me, I like analog and just need a mixer that will handle the MSR. Don't want to lose this thread and I need some experienced opinions, so consider this a bump as well. :) :) :)

I'd look for an 8 buss mixer. You could patch the 8 buss outputs into the first 8 channels, then patch those back into the line inputs while you fill up the other 8 tracks on the tape. I suggest busses so that you can send multiple mixer channels to one tape track, since you're limited to 16.

I don't have a comfort level here, and I sincerely apologize if it is unfounded. To sum it up, this is what I will have, and what I will be doing...
MSR-16 1/2" reel recording deck
Lexicon LXP-15II
Pro VLA
ART dual 15 EQ
Joe Meek MQ3
CDRW-700

488MKII

Now I have some decent stuff, but what do I need as far as a mixer to replace the 488MKII and how much of it do I need to make the MXR work? I may try the analog thread as well. :)

TASCAM for mixers....now why the hell didn't I think of that! :( :confused:
The 520 looks awesome, as does the 320!! There is an M-216 up for auction right now. Little less of a mixer, but seems like it may do the job. 16 ch, 4 buss, like MadAudio said, it will just be pain in the ass to switch cords on the MSR each time I'm ready for a new track.
Hmmm. Life was so much simpler with the 488 :( Oh well. Still excited about this new venture, though it's a bit sobering.

Yeah, that!

D'ya think the "custom carpet covering" might have something to do with an overheat problem, perhaps?

$91 is a good price for that hairy beast, but it will probably need maintenance, from the sounds of it. Y'never know, it could just be faulty fuses, or something simple.

Hint: I'll never buy from that seller again, because 2-3 years ago I bought a 34B-in-roadcase, and the deck literally flopped around loosely in the case, causing a broken reel table, which cost me another $70 in parts from Tascam, and that I've yet to install or repair. The broken deck recently moved to my new storage locker. Repair/TBA. The seller said he'd pay the repair/parts cost, but I was so exasperated, that I never fully followed up. Maybe that's giving an otherwise good seller bad rep, but I doubt it. They are an AV liquidator, and even though something might sell in a roadcase, doesn't mean they'll pack it properly, or at all. As stated in this M320 auction, (above), "road case has much deteriorated foam inside",... which reads to me,... "the mixer will flop around in the road case and be broken on arrival".

Y'know, I just dug the picture,... of the carpet covered M-320! :D

Back