Steinberg MR816CSX (Audio Interface) is not connecting to windows...

BORNintoMUSIC

Hey everyone, I've got a Steinberg audio interface that I've had for a few years now. All of the sudden windows stopped recognizing the device, and it no longer shows up in my sound properties, or the windows device manager. I've spoken to their support team and here's everything we've tried so far:

Tried Connecting to another computer (and it works)
Replaced the firewire card in my main computer
Replaced the firewire cable with a new one
Uninstalled the old drivers and installed fresh ones on my PC
Reset the audio interface back to "factory default"

So essentially we've ruled out that it's the audio interface and it more than likely appears to be a software (driver) issue with my PC. Here are my PC Specs

Intel i7 Processor (4GHz)
32GB DDR4 Memory
Windows 10 64bit (Officially support by Steinberg's latest drivers)
Cubase 7 64bit
Brand New Firewire Card with a Texas Instruments Chipset (Which was what was recommended by the manufacturer)

When I start up Cubase it does not see the Steinberg as an available audio interface to use for recording.

I think this comes down to some sort of corrupt registry file.. but I'm not that great with registry issues, and I really hope I don't have to reformat my hard drive to get this thing working. Does any one have any thoughts?

Thank you very much,
Brandon

Does W10 have a safe mode start-up, so you can delete all the bad settings in device manager ?

Does W10 have a safe mode start-up, so you can delete all the bad settings in device manager ?

That's a good idea. I'm not sure if it does or not, but I'll try googling your suggestion. Have you ever done anything like this before with other operating systems?

That's a good idea. I'm not sure if it does or not, but I'll try googling your suggestion. Have you ever done anything like this before with other operating systems?

Only with older windows. I was in the habit of switching things around before things went Plug 'n Play. So, I discover my older windows would keep a record of all the devices and all the different address and IRQ settings. I would think W10 would be better, but it may have settings in there that it wants to default to.

If you see 5-10 video monitors in safe mode - delete them all . You'd want to know where the drivers are, of course : ) You may still have to cruise through the Registry as some companies plot to make every Registry file 100-gigabyte

No there might not be anything in that safe mode device thing, but I'd check it. It used to be you'd hit Funtion-8 key on boot(right after BIOS) and you could choose safe mode.

Only with older windows. I was in the habit of switching things around before things went Plug 'n Play. So, I discover my older windows would keep a record of all the devices and all the different address and IRQ settings. I would think W10 would be better, but it may have settings in there that it wants to default to.

If you see 5-10 video monitors in safe mode - delete them all . You'd want to know where the drivers are, of course : ) You may still have to cruise through the Registry as some companies plot to make every Registry file 100-gigabyte

No there might not be anything in that safe mode device thing, but I'd check it. It used to be you'd hit Funtion-8 key on boot(right after BIOS) and you could choose safe mode.

Thanks for the reply! I did check out device manager in safe mode and did not come across any duplicate Steinberg devices. Steinberg's support has been rather useless as they can't tell me where to look for old registry files. Hmm...

I know its mundane, but I would have deleted the entry, shut down, and removed the device and started that unknown device thing over

I know its mundane, but I would have deleted the entry, shut down, and removed the device and started that unknown device thing over

Well I did remove it in safe mode, restarted, reinstalled the drivers and still no luck. I even did the "safe" reinstall of windows 10 where it keeps your personal files, but the unit just doesn't want to be detected by windows. Damn.

I'd probably play the BIOS settings for add-on devices and maybe try another slot after BIOS and Window loose there memory of Firewire

Back