Soundcraft Series 200B mixer... opinions?

lansingxcore

Hello. I have a moderate home studio setup, and currently do all my mixing through a soundcraft 200b that is being loaned to me long term. a few questions, to anybody who has used one..

1. how does this thing sound compared to budget mixers i might otherwise consider (such as the alesis studio 32).. I have been told that since it's an old analog mixer, it adds quite a bit of desirable character to my sound. is that true? would say, a mackie or the aforementioned alesis sound 'sterile' in comparison? is this mixer considered noisy? how are the mic pres reputed to be? would say, those 'really nice preamps' or other mid-range pres be a very noticable upgrade?

part 2 of that post.. stupid server

2. are there any modifications you can do to this mixer to make it better? i have very little electronics experience, but have done some soldering on guitar pickups and such...

3. some of my channels are starting to act up. sometimes i have to jiggle buttons to activate a channel, and i think my inserts (which i use in lieu of direct outs) are acting up as well. is this thing easy to perform upkeep on?

thanks so much to any of you who want to tackle any of thes issues..

-john

Go to www.electrical.com and ask in the Tech forum. Steve Albini used to record with a 200B in his basement studio back in the day, so I'm sure he or one of his techs might be able to provide some info.

Back