Someone fill me in on what headphones to buy

Gregwor

So i have some Realistic NOVA PRO headphones that I absolutely love.....they have volume pots on each phone....and super comfy...really good frequency response and loud/clear as hell.

Anyways, they've about had it.

I don't know which phones to buy now.

Can someone list some good phones.....I wouldn't mind investing in some super good ones, or medium quality at the least. Thanks in advance. Greg.

How much are you willing to spend?

Sony MDR-7506's will do the job, and quite well at that

Always around $100:cool:

Greg, I recently bought and compared 5 different, popular makes/models and found the Sennheiser 280s (about $85 on-line) to be the clear winners in studio sound, isolation, and comfort. If you search back about one month in this thread, you'll find my message that offers a few details, such as which models I tested.

Still, everyone will tell you that headphone taste us very individual, so you'll need to compare, as I did. If you have a large head, for example, (I'm not joking), then the Sennies would probably feel too tight. My head is narrower, and I just love the snug fit and impressive isolation for recording and mixing. To each/his own is the key, of course. I've actually found the Snnies to be good enough (balanced enough) to do initial--not final, but initial--mixes on before I move to monitors, and that says a lot.

Good luck with your search,

J.

Yo Greg:

Consider the Beyer 250 cans. A few pezzutos more than the Sony. Personally, I don't like the way Sony sets up the cans on their weird swivvel. They seem to slide off my dome. But, maybe that's just me.

The Beyer cans are clean, comfortable, and durable. I've got Sony cans, among several other sets; I always use the Beyer cans.

But, I do use a set of wireless cans when doing routine recording of stuff that's DONE. Very nice to walk around the studio wire-free.

As far as sound quality, the wireless don't even come close to the Beyer.

But, put some on your ears and decide.

Green Hornet:D :p :cool:

:D I really like my Beyerdynamic's DT-150's. There are excellent sounding for studio work. We have two pairs of these for engineers.

da MUTT

depends really..... what do you want to use these headphones for? if just for monitoring, and not while recording live, then you can use open-headphones which generally sound better. if you gotta have isolated headphones, then your choices are much more limited.

so..... if you don't care about isolation, the best i have ever heard are Sennheiser HD600's. if you compare the sound with MDR-7506's you won't believe how much the sony's are missing. really. i am not kidding you. the senn hd600's have 2x the detail and much more bass and treble extension. and everything sounds so good.... not muddy at all.

i haven't had a chance to try the electrostatic types..... by of the dynamics, it's hard to beat hd600's.

personally, i have in my collection several headphones, including the AKG K1000 which costs $1000 retail. hd600's are still the overall winner if you just consider sound.

you can get a pair for $230 new on ebay and audiogon. otherwise i think they're $440 retail.

Everything I've read agrees with Orpheus: the Senn 600s are the top for sound if you don't need the isolation. I do need it, and when I bought and compared six makes and models (including the Sony 7506 and AT 40s), the Senn 280s gave me that same startling "jeez, listen to what I've been missing" sense of sound.

I'd vote Senn 280s for low-impedence/closed and Senn 600s for open although I haven't checked out the Beyers or AKGs, partly because of the higher impedence requirements or lack of isolation.

Best,
J.

Re: 2 worth considering..............

MISTERQCUE said:
....MDR Series by Sony or AKG 240's.

I'll second the AKG240 phones. The only caution I'll give on them is that they're not good isolation phones, but they sound decidedly accurate, and they're a decent price.

Chris

Grados and goodcans.com

I got turned onto Grados by my Prof at Middle Tennessee. He required Grados for the critical listening class. he owned the really nice wooden pair. anyway, i purchased the SR225's and absolutely love them. there is such a clarity there that i've not heard elsewhere.

one note, they are open headphones and not suitable for the talent to use during recording.

check out www.goodcans.com for more info!

Back