Should I be worried...? Re: Near Field Freq. Responce

WATYF

...happier than you.
O.K... So I picked up a pair of Studiophile 8B Monitors cause MF is having a smokin' deal on em right now.. and they're here already... and so I pulled em out.. they look great.. and I'm lookin' through the documentation, and I notice a freq. chart in each box for each speaker. I check the first one oat and it's actually pretty nice. Fairly flat... looks decent.. no prob..

Then I pull the second one oat... and it's got a pretty sizable "bump" in the 4-6kHz range... The pattern is "similar" to the first speaker all the way up until that point, then it goes off totally different (because of the bump) and then it goes back to benig a similar pattern.

The patterns on both speakers are similar (except for the bump) but the second speaker's "pattern" sits a little higher in the chart. (just a bit)

Anywhooo... is this something to worry aboot? Shouldn't they have almost identical freq. patterns? Will I even notice? If this is a "defect", would they replace it just based on a freq. chart?? I wish I could post the actual diagrams but I don't have a scanner.. I'm aboot to try em oat tonight (maybe tomorrow) and I may not even be able to tell the difference.. but I figured I'd ask for input anyway.

WATYF

Sennheiser said:
How big of a bump? 3, 5, 10dB? More?
5dB. The other one has a much shorter and smaller bump (aboot 2dB) at the same point. I didn't get a chance to try em oat last night... I will get them up and running tonight... I mean,.. I'm not exactly a pro... (no??? :eek: I know.. surprising,.. isn't it?? :p) so my newbie ears may not even be able to detect a 3dB difference in the 5K range.. who knows.

WATYF

Your lucky. One of mine's tweeter doesn't tweet. But it seems you and I's a minority as other than this I've heard NOTHING bad about these monitors. And the one that does works sounds fantastical. Now I'm waiting for Musician's Friend to e-mail me back so I can exchange mine. It'll prolly be another 8 weeks before I see my second pair I'm sure. I hate MF. I was knocked over when these came in three days. I hope they send the second ones just as fast. Pobly not. Plus they will have to wait until they receive these busted ones back. My heart sinks more everytime I think about it.

Signed,
The Royally Pissed Off and Dissapointed
-Hoky

WATYF said:
....so my newbie ears may not even be able to detect a 3dB difference in the 5K range.. who knows.
3dB? Oh hell yes, you’ll hear that – newbie or not.

If you have any kind of synthesizer at you disposal, just record a mono sine wave that slowly sweeps from the lower to the upper frequencies. Sit in the center position and you’ll definitely hear the sound drifting back and forth between the speakers. That’s a bad thing.

Sorry to say it WATYF, but you get what you pay for. :(:):(

barefoot

barefoot said:
Sorry to say it WATYF, but you get what you pay for. :(:):(
*sigh* I know, I know... I didn't expect the "best".. but a matched pair sure would be nice... :p

They sounded pretty darn nice (for my newbie ears)... but I could hear a difference in the two... so I packaged 'em back up and sent 'em back for an exchange. I don't know if the pair I get back will be any more "similar", but regardless,.. they sounded great and I got a smokin' deal, so I'll be happy either way.

WATYF

Back