Roland DS-30A monitors - opinions

andyhix

:dank:
I guy near me is selling a pair of these for 200 on craigslist. I'm a little leary of 5" woofers, but consensus around these parts is it's just a matter of "tuning my ear" etc. Anybody have these? Unlike a lot of products, I am having a hard time finding reviews of these online. I'd love some thoughts about these.

EDIT: Also, being digital, would I just be spending money on something I don't need since I intend to use these in an analog system?

Those are actually not bad little speakers. We have a pair of them we use for our stereo system in the living room. The low end is a little light, you'd probably want to use a sub along with them. They'd probably be very well suited for use as satellite speakers in a surround system.

However, as main mixing speakers I'd be a little hesitant, unless they are used with a subwoofer.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I went to guitar ctr and listened to a few monitors, and I had a heard time hearing the bass freq. on anything 5", even those that people seem to like universally. I think I'd be better off with something a tad larger, probably. But maybe it's just my ears.

Andy, I know nothing at all about the smaller Roland monitors except that they received very low ratings in Future Music mag's blind monitor shoot-out early last year. It's an interesting two-part review (I always enjoy blind shoot-outs because of the surprises), worth your time if you're considering the Rolands. Head over to the mag's website for more info.

Good luck,
J.

Back