Replacement Tweeter for Roland DS-50A

mattkw80

I have emailed Roland tonight as well, but....

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement Tweeter for the Roland DS-50A's ?

The back of the tweeter says :

RolandAD 8 Ohm, 20W Speak00026 Assembled in Mexico

I wouldn't mind saving this pair of monitors if possible, despite the number of times they have failed me. (The digital mode does not work at all anymore).

So strange.... smoke free studio, and I've got the gain on the back turned down so I'm no blasting the full volume out....... they just seem to be getting worse and worse all the time.

I have no idea why the tweeter's blow, but, I don't really want to shell out $500 to $1000 on replacement monitors right now.

Has Roland replied? If not and you can't find a direct replacement I'd look at Parts Express and get a new dome tweeter. Since you've got variable levels for the high end and it's an active x-over you could stick any decent tweeter in there and get great results.

Has Roland replied? If not and you can't find a direct replacement I'd look at Parts Express and get a new dome tweeter. Since you've got variable levels for the high end and it's an active x-over you could stick any decent tweeter in there and get great results.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Roland did get back to me. I would have to replace both tweeters to match the kind. (Old kind discontinued). $100+ for both.

But.... my awesome local repair guy, at the local music shop was able to take it apart..... and fixed it for $10.

(He had already fixed the other for me about a year ago).

So, I got off lucky again. He says, it's getting sketchy though. One of these days, he won't be able to fix them any more.

I just want to use these for a few more years, and then get some KRK's or something like that.

You know, I have a pair of DS50s and my tweeter just went out on me again. I've gone through the same thing now and had my tweeter fixed about three times on the same speaker. I'm about done with that now. I took the tweeter out and I'm looking for a new one.

I went to Parts Express and they obviously don't have the same tweeter but is there an equivalent that works? Seems that some of those tweeters are much better than the one I have here. My tweeter is the exact same as Matt's.What exactly should I be looking for? Will it matter that it's not a proprietary tweeter or does the circuit board determine the response?

Thanks ahead of time.

I used to blow tweeters too, until I realized that it was my fault they were blowing. I was just cranking the amp up to make the room loud, even though the speakers were not designed for such a thing.

I added PA speakers for when I want things to be really loud, and save the tweeters in my good speakers by not juicing them up anymore.

Dan

uhhhhhhg..... i know this thread is old - but same thing just happened to me. hey Mattkw80 - did the repair guy say what was wrong? i've been trying to contact repair shops and the prices are outrageous. perhaps if i had some advice for them it would be cheaper. anything would help. i couldn't be sadder right now - i'm a few weeks away from finishing an album i've put so much work and money into. my time and resources are exhausted and i've gotta finish this.

I've just repaired an old DS-50A tweeter. I took it out of the enclosure and measured the resistance of the coil - infinity instead of 8 Ohms. So I took off four more screws and gently pulled the metal flange off the coil and magnet (don't worry about the glue). One of the hair-like wire connections was no longer connecting to a terminal - about 1/8th" was missing like it had "fused" into nothing. So I very gently scraped off a short amount of the insulation from the "hair" wire, then soldered a short thin lead from the terminal to the "hair" wire. On testing with an ohm meter I had 8 ohms again across the terminals. You must solder very quickly not to burn the "hair" wire. I tested it and it's fine. Beware of high frequency feedback during use of course.

Help for replacement tweeter

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Roland did get back to me. I would have to replace both tweeters to match the kind. (Old kind discontinued). $100+ for both.

But.... my awesome local repair guy, at the local music shop was able to take it apart..... and fixed it for $10.

(He had already fixed the other for me about a year ago).

So, I got off lucky again. He says, it's getting sketchy though. One of these days, he won't be able to fix them any more.

I just want to use these for a few more years, and then get some KRK's or something like that.

Hey bro, can u help me pls? My roland ds-5, where can i buy tweeters to replace it? i searched every where i can and i just didnt, if you can help me with it u would be so much grateful, im from brazil!

Thanks!!!! (please, sorry for my bad english. I´m Spanish...:guitar:)

One of my DS-50A was broken too and i was so sad because they costed me a lot of money years ago and i didn´t want to buy another couple of monitors having already these.

So i googled a little bit and found your message. 10 minutes and my speaker is working again!!! Thank you very much "Rani21" and the other gays for sharing your experiences.

I have taken some photos in the process, so here they are:

Foto 12-4-20 12 49 55.jpgFoto 12-4-20 12 49 59.jpgFoto 12-4-20 12 53 37.jpgFoto 12-4-20 12 53 27.jpgFoto 12-4-20 12 53 43.jpg

Back