Randall Isolation guitar cab.....

Blue Bear Sound

...I just picked one of these up (with the Celestion cone)

Absolutely phenomenal!!! I had my amp cranked to rehearsal level and the sound was... well, not a whisper, but hardly distracting - you could easily watch TV nearby without difficulty hearing the TV's sound......... Amazing....

For anyone wanting to record a mic'd amp, but needing to keep it quiet (or as a way of minimizing leakage in a band recording situation), I recommend it highly!

Bruce

That sounds interesting buddy,
hows about a LINK.
Living in a little apartment that might be just the ticket!

Shredzilla

That looks really interesting.
It also seems like it might be possible to build your own unit... similar to that cabinet.
I'll bet John Sayers could come up with a nice diagram. ;)

There's plenty of room in front of the cone, but there's only 1 gooseneck stand and no facility to wire-up a 2nd mic cable without compromising the isolation. (The only jacks are speaker in/thru and mic out).... true - they could have been more forward-thinking as far as that is concerned, but I've been using it 2 days now and single mic limitation aside - I'm much impressed...

Bruce

looks cool, but...

I had considered building something similar with some plywood, some studio foam, a gooseneck and an xlr jack. wouldn't that work just as well?

Bruce, how would you compare the sound to, lets say, a marshall 4x12 cab for example?

Hmmm.... it's a single 12-inch Celestion cone, and since you're close-mic'ing, the difference has less to do with the sound of a 4x12 cab, than it has do do with the size of a single cone being mic'd.

Unless you distance-mic a 4x12 to hear the cabinet, you're going to be close-mic'ing to only 1 cone of the cabinet anyways!

The fact that it's a Celestion cone may mean a slightly warmer sound.... what cones are they putting in Marshalls these days?

Bruce

Last time I checked it was Celestion 70 or 80 watt 12's.

Does the fact that the mic is in a closed box add any boominess?

vox said:
Last time I checked it was Celestion 70 or 80 watt 12's.
Then there should be little difference!

Does the fact that the mic is in a closed box add any boominess?
I was concerned about that too, before I got the unit, but in any of the reviews or descriptions, nothing was ever mentioned.... After I got the unit I found out why -- it's NOT a problem!

Bruce

:)

Back