A Question For Pros Only!!!!!

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
what a sucky thread title...eh?... all comments welcome, but I figure probably only "pros" will have "personal use" comments.

Currently, I have what I call some dinosaur monitoring setups... But I DO like them...just looking for better. ....always..eh?

What I have now...
1 pair URIE 813C powered by a Crown DC300
1 pair JBL 4311 powered by a Crown DC150
1 pair Auratone 5C cubes powered by an Alesis RA100

all "ancient stuff"...right? but good in their heyday....

I have heard other "newer speakers" like the Mackie 824's..but only in OTHER control rooms. ...and I actually kinda like mid-field VS near-field speaks anyway. So...I can't really relate in how they might compare. I didn't particularly like them much anyway. I thought they sounded "small"....but I supposed compared to my mid-fields. I also got lost in what the bottom end was doing, but I suppose I would have to learn. The NS10's are long gone...for a similar reason.

I really liked the current JBL's that are the new versions of the 4311's... that go for about 2 grand a pair... Forgot the specific model number...but LSR ??...or something like that.

Question....are my speakers really that outdated, and would I hear an improvement with JUST newer power amps..or do the "ole" Crowns compare? ..or better speakers.. etc. I am open to suggestions without breaking the bank. 2 grand is starting to push it. I could sell what I've got too... but the Auratones are too cute!

If your current setup is working for ya, why change?

(If you DO change - check out KRK's mid-field V88's -- V8's are the nearfield version) ;)

I agree Blue, if it works well for you, then there is no need to chahge. I have a pair of Cannon TLS speakers that I bought in 76 and I won't part with them for anything. I bought a pair of JBL studio monitors back in 78 and they still jam also.

Unless there is a major advantage (DAW vs analog tape), don't just update to update.

so...you guys don't think getting something like the JBL LSR32's and a Crown Micro (or Macrotech) amp would be a significant upgrade to hear better details in my mixes? The Crown reference series amps start only at $2500:eek: But the other lines are much more affordable....ya know..500 pazootas...or around that.

no upgrading for upgrading's sake is not a good reason. But I know there is better stuff out there, and just wonder if what I have "still holds a lick" to something 20 years newer.

I think the above setup would probably hit ya up for 3 grand...speaks and amp. I could get $500 for the 4311's I am thinking and $800+ for the Urie's... plus 2 grand... I hate to do it, then "try" them out at home only to find out what I had was "close" to the same league in detail.

I think Sjoko has the JBL's...but maybe the smaller ones. And he has probably heard the time aligns and the 4311's many times. Maybe he'll stumble on by...

Well... ANY change to your monitoring system is going to require "re-learning" of how to translate your mixes....

"significant upgrade"? Only YOU can make that call -- if you like your mixes now, and you find it easy to mix with, then I'd think twice about what the implications of upgrading are for you....

For myself, the biggest reason to change monitors is if what you currently have is no longer working for you, or your ears have outgrown them!

and....you don't think your ears could "grow" into something better, with better equipment?? I don't know...just asking. I would tend to think if I went out and bought some killer (newer?) speakers, etc, I would "learn" to appreciate them more.

and...of course...if I am satisfied with my mixes, I'd be a fool to say so. I've got a loooong way to go, with the equipment I have, I think.

your last sentence...I don't think I could answer that... I don't really know if I am starting to outgrow my speakers...or if they aren't "working" for me. Would better stuff help me out... my brain says yes...my wallet says NO.

Lemme ask you, wadda you think of those old Crowns, VS the Haflers you seem to like?

and...have you ever heard the speakers I have, somewhere before, and did you have a positive opinion on them? Shoot...I think Harvey Gerst uses them (I think he basically friggin' designed them..to some degree...but sure knows their sound, big time)..but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

Your familiar with them, you’re comfortable with them, and they won’t cost you anymore money. I can not think of one reason to change. And for god's sake, don't sell the Auratones (awfultones). Or if you don't want them anymore, send them to me. They are one of the only things I really miss from working in a real studio. How else am I going to know what my mixes will sound like in my car stereo without leaving my studio?

The one thing which I, personally, would add would be near fields. I really like to use them for mixing. But that is me, and I know guys who mix on mains or mid fields and get fantastic sounds, so why fight it. Besides, it would take you six months to get really comfortable with new speakers, and that would just suck. The only reason I did it (I went from NS-10s to Mackie HR 824s) is because the NS-10s gave me a headache.

Keep what you got.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Do you have anyone that you could borrow a pair of nearfeilds from?? I think that is the only way you'll ever know without just outright buying them.

Then again though, I agree with Bruce. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Spend that money on a Great River MP2NV!!

Beezoboy

Oh sorry I am not a pro, Disregard this post :)

Check out the Wharfdale 8.1s I believe ( I am forever forgetting which numbers and letters make up the model designation). But...anyway, these are bing hailed as the, get this, "new NS-10s". Check out the review in the current "Mix" magazine.

As far as the "if it works don't fix it" attitude. In this context it is simply not applicable. Sure, analogue recording "worked" and worked quite well at that but still the standard has changed and digital is what is happening. As time goes by, analogue will become ancient history. Anyone that doubts this is just being shortsighted or refusing to accept the fact that their lives are finite and that audio recording will continue long after they are dead.

I am reminded of back when CDs first hit the commercial market. I knew a gut (and I am sure everyone knew one of these guys) that was going to hold onto his vinyl recordings vehemently resisting the change to CD insisting that vinyl records sounded better. Actually, they do, or did at the time. But that did not stop the world from moving on. This is true with alot of audio formats.
To me the real issue for this vinyl militant was the fact that he had a large record collection and was loathe to change over for fear of losing his hard won collection to modernization. He had literally thousands upon thousands of dollars invested in the record collection and the thought that the records were becoming obsolete was just too much. I suppose is made him feel old and obsolete. In the end, he too sucumbed to CDs.

Phil,

I definitely see your point regarding the change from vinyl to CD. I'm curious, though. What has been the transformational change in the loudspeaker industry that would merit revising a setup which mixmkr is able to make good mixes on? What clarity, detail, air, frequency, balance, or other output is now able to be heard which wasn't on older monitors? I'd like your impressions on why a modern monitor would be more in line with current technology, or "better", than older ones.

-mg

mgraffeo said:
Phil,

I definitely see your point regarding the change from vinyl to CD. I'm curious, though. What has been the transformational change in the loudspeaker industry that would merit revising a setup which mixmkr is able to make good mixes on? What clarity, detail, air, frequency, balance, or other output is now able to be heard which wasn't on older monitors? I'd like your impressions on why a modern monitor would be more in line with current technology, or "better", than older ones.

-mg

yeah...what Phil said.

and...no feedback on the Crown amps?? no one ever owned one before, and have something newer now??

Im not a techie type LOL..One thing about Crowns is that they will withstand anything!As for upgradeing amps..we just did it and I could hear a difference between the various amps {suttle}We are useing a Parasound 2200 and Manley 100mb's and they sound really nice..this was on Monitor Ones which to me are crap and almost made them passable.As for the Crown and other amps...We have a Crown on the small JBL/Mackie PA and we hooked up some Macintosh Tube Monoblock 60's and they simply sounded MUCH better..So I think that you should stay with your speakers{hell they work for you !}And see if you can get a little more detail out of them by upgradeing your amps..Some tech type like faster slew rates and E=Mc2 might make a difference;)

Don

thanks henri..

you know, I actually used to have a pair of tube mcintosh's but sold them looooong ago. At the time, I didn't really realize how good those amps were, and thought something like the DC300 was more the cats meow...in that price range. however, I am not really a vintage gear fanatic, and would be happy with something brand spankin' new, actually.

btw...I sold them with all my langevin outboard eq's, and I had a shitload of fairchild preamps...all racked. some old compressors too... looooong gone. with the dinosaur console I had too. from my "days of old", besides the speakers and instruments I own, the only stuff I still use today is the cableing, patchbays, and that kinda junk.

now I have a "dinosaur" DAW!!!

Near field ?

gotta have 'em to get the mix I need. I took 6 months and listened to them all, and settled in the KRK's. You can get a good used pair on eBay (once a blue moon or so, but no problem inasmuc as what you have now is working for you) and go from there. However, if you read enough threads in this forum, you'll continually read a major truth, the beauty is really in your ears. We al lhave a favorite monitor or mic set-up or whatever that we favor. The proof lies in your ears and what you like and what works best for you, near field, mid field, mackie, krk, JBL or whatever. Have fun in your quest for the what sounds best to you! Peace - Mitch

oh, I take money for production work, so I think that makes me a pro. Been at it 20 years now... if not, then kindly disregard this post :-)

Back