Question about PA speakers NEWB QUESTION

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
Okay my friends letting me borrow his PA cause he's away for school and im home and needed a PA. So now i have a PA but the most space efficient way for me to set up the speakers are laying on their side. Will do any damage or effect my sound negatively? thank you for your help in advanced. :)

Quick question, laying on their side on the floor or elevated? (like on a shelf)
as far as damage not a problem, will it effect sound, depends on their type of projection ( i.e. long, or short throw, the type of exit on the horn (60X90 or conical or so on)) Just get them up so you can hear them at ear level and keep the horns away from anything that may cause an early reflection. And position mics accordingly as to maximize gain before feedback.

They are elevated off the ground on some rubbermaid containers. They are stacked ontop of one another (2 10 inch speakers) at about 3 1/2 to 5 feet off the ground. The PA is on top of it. I need to figure out the best way to get rid of feedback , i mean it works well if im off to the side but id optimally like to be in front of the speakers . Im sorry if im talking to much haha. Ill settle down. Yea I was just worried about damaging something that doesnt belong to me.

well feedback would damage any speaker. The best way to eliminate that is by poisitioning the mic element directly opposite the speaker first off. Then through use of eq to eliminate any problamatic frequencies and room anamolies. I am assuming that you have a powered mixer, if so does it have a graphic eq for the main output. if so then try pulling down the region between 3K to 5K thats probably wear most of it is coming from. Unfortunately as we all know thats where all the clarity is, so its hard to find a happy meduim. also pull dow a little 800hz and pull down 400hz a bit to try to take some of the stuff that may problematic as well.

Good information Peter Miller , thanks alot. I'm anxious to jam out with my full band and being able to hear my vocals a bit more clear, should be exciting. Thanks for the help youve given me , I apprecite it very much. :)

Put the speakers on the floor side by side pointed up at an angle with your mic stand in the middle. If you are in a small untreated room your are going to have feedback problems. If there is an EQ on the PA try turning down the lows and highs to help reduce feedback.

Back