A Question About BEHRINGER UMC22

ARNehal

For a few days I was searching for a cheap audio interface and I found behringer umc22. It is a nice and cheap interface.
But I was thinking, can I connect a dynamic mic via insert 2 ?
I mean, can I use the interface's 2nd insert to connect a dynamic mic with a xlr to 1/4 inch headphone jack?
And can I use 2 mics at same time?

Hi there,
Welcome to HR. :)

It'll work in so much as sound will get through, but it's really not ideal.
I expect the signal will be pretty weak.
You could use a Lo-Z to Hi-Z impedance adapter for better results but it's still not ideal.

If you haven't bought anything yet I'd hold off and look for something with (at least) two microphone preamps.
That way you know you're getting equal quality preamps per channel, the same amount of gain, and, usually, phantom power on both channels.

Hello ARNehal and welcome. Now, since you did not post in the Newb section I am going to be a little hard on you but, since this was your FIRST post, not TOO hard!

If you knew or even thought you MIGHT use two microphones why not look at interfaces with two mic pres? Ok, I can understand cost is a factor but, when choosing ANY product it is surely sensible to decide on the facilities you need, now and possibly in the future then cast your net accordingly?

In any case, going for the lowest cost AI you can find is likely to result in disappointment. Yes, the Behringers ARE remarkably cheap and yes, they have (surprisingly) got good reviews but 40 bucks is pretty whale poo!

I have been made aware of the Presonus 96 interface. Twice the cost of that Berry but of vastly better specc I would aver? You also get Studio One basic software, well respected and something I keep meaning to try out!

Dave.

I tried it for a recent video and just as was mentioned above, the signal is very weak. I had to turn the gain all the way up, and the signal/noise ratio was unacceptable. Get an interface with 2 mic preamps if you want to use 2 mics, simple as that.

Back