Problem with Edirol R-26

nikopartanen

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum, I hope equipment questions is the right place.

I'm a linguist, and I record regularly conversations in different languages. I'm currently working for some weeks in North-Western Russia. Our team has been using Edirol R-26 as our main recorder. We have few older models (R-09HR) as backups.

During our last fieldwork a year ago one informant hit this recorder slightly with his hand. Suddenly the XY and XLR microphones stopped working. Omnidirectional microphones and the plug-in mic continued to work normally. We thought this was due the physical damage. However, when we sent the recorder into repair no damage was found. They updated firmware and the problem had disappeared.

However, now we had recorded around 10 hours with this recorder when the same happened again. I was monitoring the recorder when suddenly the XLR microphones and the XY internal mics just lost the signal. I restarted it, later did factory reset, but nothing helped. It is exactly the same situation we were in at the last time.

My project leader suggested not to update the firmware ourselves for the warranty issues. We also have already the newest firmware version (1.12), and it says in Roland website not to install it if you already have the newest firmware:

R-26 System Program Ver.1.12 :: R-26 :: Downloads :: Support :: Roland

So my question is: What is going on? Has anyone heard of something like this happening? It doesn't seem to be typical for this recorder as I don't find with Google other people having the same problem. Is there something I could try that could fix it without having warranty issues? As I wrote, we have backup recorders for situations like this. So it is not a real disaster, but still something that should not happen with this expensive equipments.

I attached here a spectrogram from the WAV file written by the XY microphones. The signal simply died suddenly.

0406_162230_1.png

Best wishes,

Niko

Last edited:
Back