Preamp/interface noise (HELP!!)

AkwenESC

Hello, I have a problem. First of all, I want to start by saying that I am not a sound engineer, I am a voice over talent who recently is planning to go into the VO bussiness very soon. But I have a problem with my recording setup, namely that I get some sort of electronic buzz/hiss on my recordings. I am sitting inside a whisperroom that is treated with acoustic froam, I record through a Neumann U87 and I'm using an Avalon 737 preamp. Now, my interface, wich I believe is what causes the problem, is a Yamaha MG10XU mixer that has a usb connection and also works as an interface. However, I think its the yamaha that is causing the buzz, but I'd like to know what you think? Should I ditch it and get a proper interface that can be used for the sole pupose of being in a chain like this? Are there any good, quiet interfaces you can recommend that doesnt cost way too much? Or is it just that I'm doing something wrong in my ignorance and that whatever is causing the buzz is easy to fix by pressing/turning some button? I'm kinda desperate, I want to be able to record as soon as possible.

You posted your dilemna in the Gear Review section of the forum, maybe a mod will move it for you.

A buzz is like the sound of a bumblebee or large fly. A hiss - a kettle boiling with no whistle. Is it, in fact, a high-pitched noise (post a a
soundclip)?
Most USB mixers with A-D converters have this problem. I don't know if the Yammie has a USB volume control, but if it does, and you turn it down, does the sound get quieter/go away?

What you should be using is a proper Audio Interface. Any of the $100 and up AIs on the market will work for you. Do some reading here, plenty of suggestions and opinions.

Last edited:
You posted your dilemna in the Gear Review section of the forum, maybe a mod will move it for you.

A buzz is like the sound of a bumblebee or large fly. A hiss - a kettle boiling with no whistle. Is it, in fact, a high-pitched noise (post a a
soundclip)?
Most USB mixers with A-D converters have this problem. I dont' know if hte Yammie has a USB volume ocntrol, but if it does, and you turn it down, does the sound get quieter/go away?

What you should be using is a proper Audio Interface. Any of the $100 and up AIs on the market will work for you. Do some reading here, plenty of suggestions and opinions.

I'd say its actually more of a hiss. Yes, the Yamaha does have a USB volume control but if the input volume is up then even if I lower the USB volume there is no difference in sound, the noise is still there just as loud. I have done a lot of reading but I truly don't know what causes it - is it bad gain staging, noisy TRS wire (I only own one so I can't test any other), some electronic interference or simply the mixer being really noisy in itself? I'd post a soundclip if only I knew how.

I'm using a normal TRS wire, connected from the TRS 1/4 line output on the 737 to the line input (mic/line - the XLR input that has a TRS input in the middle) on the mixer. The wire is only a TRS, not a XLR to TRS. Before getting the 737 I used the mixer to plug in a studio microphone (and instruments) and there was a hiss then too. I have also tried putting my headphones into the 737 directly (without linking it to the mixer) and listen to the sound when I record into the Neumann and the sound is GREAT, so I know its not the 737.

Yes, that is exactly how I meant. I lack the knowledge to describe theese things very well, I apologize for that. Indeed the USB volume control only controls the volume of the sound from the computer.

If I make a recording with the TRS both connected or disconnected and all gain/level controls on zero then I hear nothing - unless I increase the volume of the clip in audacity, then the hiss is highly noticeable. The thing is, if I plug my headphones into the mixer and increase the monitors/phones volume then I will hear the hiss very clearly, but of course it's HARDLY noticeable when having that control set at normal listening level. And the hiss/noise is recorded along with my voice or an instrument and as such there will be noise in the recorded audio no matter what device I'd use to listen to it. I dont know how to post sound clips here but if I could then I'd post examples.

I have decided to buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and use that instead as the mixer, as I have suspected all along, obviously isnt ideal for this kind of use.

With my Mackie mixer the USB 'volume' control works on the signal going both ways. Turn it up, and it sends a high pitch frequency to the DAW, or adds one to the signal coming out of the computer.

From your latest post I suspect the noise you are getting is from the Yammie preamp section (maybe the TRS input doesn't bypass it, only pads it).

Maybe something you hadn't thought of, but the overall sound you get is a direct result of everything in the signal chain, and can often only be as good as the worst component in that chain. You're using a $3000+ mic into a $2500 preamp into a $150 mixer or interface ....

With my Mackie mixer the USB 'volume' control works on the signal going both ways. Turn it up, and it sends a high pitch frequency to the DAW, or adds one to the signal coming out of the computer.

From your latest post I suspect the noise you are getting is from the Yammie preamp section (maybe the TRS input doesn't bypass it, only pads it).

Maybe something you hadn't thought of, but the overall sound you get is a direct result of everything in the signal chain, and can often only be as good as the worst component in that chain. You're using a $3000+ mic into a $2500 preamp into a $150 mixer or interface ....

Yes, I see your point and I do agree. I thought about the Focusrite Scarlett because it seems to have a good reputation but I'm curious what interfaces you'd recommend? An has to be an interface that is simple enough for my needs.

I am using the driver that I downloaded from the product website after having bought the mixer.

I did as you suggested and set the output Control on the 737 on "0" and then adjust the MG10 level so that it in aucacity it lands at about -12 but when I try to record the hiss is still present. Weather I bring up the level control or the gain control I also bring up the hiss. It seems there is no way to get around it. I had a look at that block diagram but it's all a bit too technical for me. As for those two switches that controls the USB connection, I tried recording with both off or iether one on/off an nothing made the hiss go away. The thing is, the hiss is brought up in volume when I bring up the imput level (as I said, the same happened when I used to plug microphones and instruments DIRECTLY into the mixer) and so there seems to be no way of getting rid of it. I need to get a proper interface, but what kind should I get? I need something that, unlike the MG10, doesn't degrade the really good sound I get from the Neumann and 737. Do you think the Focusrite Scarlett could do the job or do I need something even more exclusive?

An interface would likely will be a better choice, but I'll leave it to others for a recommendation. Since you have a preamp you would likely want an interface that has line inputs that bypass the mic preamps.

I happen to recall something regarding Audacity that it may not play well with some ASIO drivers, which the Yamaha/Steinberg driver appears to be. Whether this could be a source of the hiss I don't know, but could be a possibility if Audacity handles the USB digital audio differently that other DAW software.
ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki

While you're waiting for suggestions for an interface perhaps try a different DAW that can make proper use ASIO drivers. Reaper is free to try out and would give much more capability in editing and plugins if you needed it. Not all that expensive if you should want to purchase either. Excellent support.
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Curious what shows in the drop down window in Audacity for your mixer. Below is my Tascam interface connected..

Well, but I can hear the hiss even when I have disconnected the USB cable from the mixer, so it can't be due to audacity. I do appreciate your help, however I think I just need a better interface. What kind of cnnection would I need to bypass the preamp of an interface and is there any interfaces that doesnt HAVE a built in preamp?

Back