Piano buzz question?

DAS19

I just had my piano tuned (6months ago) and the guy said there was no buzz but since my piano hadnt been tuned in awhile it will have to be tuned again shortly.

When a piano starts to go out of tune does it start to buzz when you play two notes together cuase my piano is starting to do that and i dont think it ever used to?

I'm a piano tuner (30 years and thousands of pianos)

If you mean an actual buzz ..... then no, a piano doesn't get buzzes when it goes out of tune. Sometimes people will decribe the temelo sound (actually called 'beats') that unisons do get when they go out of tune as a buzz so I'm not positive which you mean. But if it never did that before then it wouldn't be beats because it would have done that before since we know it was out of tune.

But, as I said, an actual buzz wouldn't occur because of going out of tune and shouldn't be related to the work the last tuner did.
BTW .... it's common for pianos to be so out the they might need multiple tunings.

Lt. Bob said:
I'm a piano tuner (30 years and thousands of pianos)

If you mean an actual buzz ..... then no, a piano doesn't get buzzes when it goes out of tune. Sometimes people will decribe the temelo sound (actually called 'beats') that unisons do get when they go out of tune as a buzz so I'm not positive which you mean. But if it never did that before then it wouldn't be beats because it would have done that before since we know it was out of tune.

But, as I said, an actual buzz wouldn't occur because of going out of tune and shouldn't be related to the work the last tuner did.
BTW .... it's common for pianos to be so out the they might need multiple tunings.

do you think that has to do with some sort of sympathetic vibrations issue? that's my best guess. But I'm not terribly versed in the technical aspects of a piano.

It's a good opportunity for me to learn something here.

LeeRosario said:
do you think that has to do with some sort of sympathetic vibrations issue? that's my best guess. But I'm not terribly versed in the technical aspects of a piano.

It's a good opportunity for me to learn something here.

Could be coincidental that something started buzzing at the same time.

I would check that there is nothing physically buzzing, stuck under the piano or behind it etc.

DavidK said:
Could be coincidental that something started buzzing at the same time.

I would check that there is nothing physically buzzing, stuck under the piano or behind it etc.

hmm...this stirs much curiosity now. I do have a Baldwin flatback laying around here that I can probably look into....

DAS19 said:
I just had my piano tuned (6months ago) and the guy said there was no buzz but since my piano hadnt been tuned in awhile it will have to be tuned again shortly.

When a piano starts to go out of tune does it start to buzz when you play two notes together cuase my piano is starting to do that and i dont think it ever used to?
Do you ever have kids in the house? My baldwin upright downstairs is always prone to abuse from the niece and nephew when they come over and raise hell. Crayons, cards, you name it... :D

upright... there are picture frames on the piano that may be a problem? but it sounds like the buzz comes right through the back of the upright. its really weired im just hoping its nothing expensive.

someone would be able to fix this for me most likely?

Picture frames absolutely could be it so try getting everything off the piano and also make sure nothing is leaning against it, maybe even something that's slipped behind it.
It's very hard (impossible?) for me to diagnose it without being there because there are dozens of things it could be .... ranging from minor to major.
I've seen a very small screw that had fallen into the frame next to the soundboard make an unholy buzzing sound and when the piano was played ... it would bounce around and so sometimes would buzz and then stop buzzing when it had bounced to where it didn't cause a buzz. Then it'd bounce back and buzz again. Your buzz could be as simple as that.
But to go to the other extreme ..... it could be a cracked soundboard or a bridge that's coming loose ..... not to scare you but those are a couple of the possiblities that would cause what you're describing.
It could be a hinge ..... or a piece of veneer coming loose ...... it could be something in the action ..... so many possibilities.

Is it an old upright? One of those antique things?
If so ..... then the chances of it being a bigger problem are greater but any of these things could happen even to a brand new piano.

I'm gonna suggest that you need to find a piano tech you trust and let him figure it out.
Are you in Florida by any chance? Despite the Louisiana in my location I live in Florida now. I could probably walk in .... play a few notes and diagnose it in about a minute ...... any good tech should be able to do the same.
If you wish .... whenever someone does check it out ..... remember every little thing they say and PM me and I'll let you know whether it sounds like he's screwing you or not.

Thank you very much for your help. I have already gone and called a piano tech for I am in New York and the drive from Florida for you would be a little to far. I appreciate your time and help.

Ill remember what he says and pm you I dont want to be screwed by these guys I think last time my piano wasnt in full tune.

Dave.

I tell you how it goes.

Back