Overloading plug sockets

chamelious

www.thesunexplodes.com
What happens when you overload a plug socket?? Just i think im in danger of this happening to me, have about 15 things plugged into 2 main sockets. Problem is theres nothing i can do about it really. If it happens, will it just blow a fuse somewhere? Or what?

chamelious said:
What happens when you overload a plug socket?? Just i think im in danger of this happening to me, have about 15 things plugged into 2 main sockets. Problem is theres nothing i can do about it really. If it happens, will it just blow a fuse somewhere? Or what?

If you have an old house, it will blow a fuse; if you have a newer house (like last 40 years), you will trip a circuit breaker. If your house has faulty wiring, you could start a fire.

You should tally up the power use of all these boxes; a lot of music gear doesn't pull that much power, so you might be OK. Still, I'd recommend a sensible approach--get a couple of power conditioners with their own protection circuits. It will make your life (and rack) much simpler.

If you really are short on power, you need to have another circuit run to your studio. Might as well make it a 20 amp circuit if you're going to the trouble. Hire an electrician.

Back