"Open vs. Closed" Headphones: What's the difference?

fin13

Hi.

I seem to be getting deeper in to the trenches of recording these days; and have a question stemming from that fact.

What's the difference between "Open" vs. "Closed" headphones?

Right now I have Sony MDR-7506's. I don't even know if they're open or closed. :confused: Do I need closed?

Thanks,
JennyFin

Yours are closed - Better for tracking.

*Generally* speaking, you'll find higher listening quality from open-back designs.

A) That doesn't mean that some closed-back phones don't sound reasonably good.

B) That doesn't mean that plenty of open designs don't sound like crap.

the only thing I've heard is that the open backs/ on ear phones have a more "open" sound. I know I prefer them to the full coverage closed ones for comfort, and that's all.

And yes, if you use them for vocal tracking, you do have to watch for bleed since they let some of the sound out. Be careful if you have talent that needs loud playback.

As MM said, doesn't mean squat about sound quality either way.

Your Sony's are closed back. You want to use closed design for tracking to reduce bleed from your headphones into the mic.

Open backed headphones don't find much use in a studio

Your Sony's are closed back. You want to use closed design for tracking to reduce bleed from your headphones into the mic.

Open backed headphones don't find much use in a studio

I prefer the sound of open-back headphones to the extent that I do use them when recording. There is some bleed, but it's reasonably controllable, and what there is I can live with.

I prefer the sound of open-back headphones to the extent that I do use them when recording. There is some bleed, but it's reasonably controllable, and what there is I can live with.
I suppose it all depends on what you are doing. If you are a metal drummer that plays to a click, you would be screwed.

I suppose it all depends on what you are doing. If you are a metal drummer that plays to a click, you would be screwed.

dude, i play loud and record with a click. i was at the doctor this week for tinnitus and i'm going to an audiologist on monday for a follow up. the ringing in my ears hasn't stopped for months and i'm pretty sure that despite being in a LOUD rock band that toured and gigged forever, having the click loud enough to hear while tracking drums is what caused this.

greg_L suggested little ear buds under industrial grade ear muffs this week. I tried it this week and man, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The click is comfortably quiet, i can bring the drums up just enough to hear them along with a scratch track. i wish like hell i'd have known about this years ago.

dude, i play loud and record with a click. i was at the doctor this week for tinnitus and i'm going to an audiologist on monday for a follow up. the ringing in my ears hasn't stopped for months and i'm pretty sure that despite being in a LOUD rock band that toured and gigged forever, having the click loud enough to hear while tracking drums is what caused this.

greg_L suggested little ear buds under industrial grade ear muffs this week. I tried it this week and man, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The click is comfortably quiet, i can bring the drums up just enough to hear them along with a scratch track. i wish like hell i'd have known about this years ago.
That's another reason for closed back haedphones. The Sennheisser 840's give you enough isolation so you can have the click low as long as you don't pump the drum mics into the headphones.

With open backed phones, they won't block the drums from getting to your ears and they won't keep the click out of the overheads. It's not much of a problem until you want the cymbal decay when the drums aren't playing.

Now, I just use my in-ears which are effectively earplugs with speakers. It works great.

That's another reason for closed back haedphones. The Sennheisser 840's give you enough isolation so you can have the click low as long as you don't pump the drum mics into the headphones.

i've used these for years and they don't provide near enough isolation.

sennheiser-eh-2270.813297.jpg

Open headphones send as much sound out the back as they do into your ears.

They have a more "open" and spacious sound and are great for mixing, mastering and listening to music - but are an absolute no-no for tracking.

Closed headphones have a sealed back and give a ore "in-head" sound. Great for tracking or recording out of doors.

Myself - I use HD 800 open headphones for editing and mastering and HD 25-1 headphones for location recording and listening to "detail". HD 215 are great for tracking.

Your Sony's are good closed headphones.

Hey Ez, Gerg gave a good tip in his recording drums thread about using in-ear earphones and then putting closed-back headphones on over them.

yeah, i've been doing that since the day after i went to see an audiologist about tinnitus a few months ago. wish i would've read that years ago. probably wouldn't have needed to go to the audiologist.

yeah, i've been doing that since the day after i went to see an audiologist about tinnitus a few months ago. wish i would've read that years ago. probably wouldn't have needed to go to the audiologist.

Do you have it? That sucks man :(

Do you have it? That sucks man :(

yep. left ear. i went a month without going to gigs or playing music to see if it would diminish at all. it didn't so i went to an audiologist. he said there's no real hearing loss, which is good, but the ringing may or may not go away. ever. so i started tracking drums again using gerg's earbud/safety muffs. it works so awesome.

yep. left ear. i went a month without going to gigs or playing music to see if it would diminish at all. it didn't so i went to an audiologist. he said there's no real hearing loss, which is good, but the ringing may or may not go away. ever. so i started tracking drums again using gerg's earbud/safety muffs. it works so awesome.

Just curious EZ are you the drummer at gigs?

:cool:

Just curious EZ are you the drummer at gigs?

no. i don't play live anymore. the gigs i mentioned are just going to see bands play live. many of my friends still play out and the wife and i go watch them a lot.

i record drums though, and the earbud/safety muffs are perfect!

no. i don't play live anymore. the gigs i mentioned are just going to see bands play live. many of my friends still play out and the wife and i go watch them a lot.

i record drums though, and the earbud/safety muffs are perfect!

OK It's just that I've had a few friends with this problem and the left ear happened to be the side that was closest to the drummer while gigging out.
Those cymbals can ruin ya ears.

OK It's just that I've had a few friends with this problem and the left ear happened to be the side that was closest to the drummer while gigging out.
Those cymbals can ruin ya ears.

for 10 years i was the bass player in a very loud band and stood on the right side of the drummer. i'm sure that didn't help.

I've been in a few bands over the years and played many rehearsals/gigs (really loud). I've always worn earplugs. It sounds better (live music is nearly always mixed very harshly), it doesn't hurt my ears, I don't damage my hearing, and I don't have to deal with a ringing in my ears for a few days straight.

Same goes for going to see live gigs ;)

I've been in a few bands over the years and played many rehearsals/gigs (really loud). I've always worn earplugs. It sounds better (live music is nearly always mixed very harshly), it doesn't hurt my ears, I don't damage my hearing, and I don't have to deal with a ringing in my ears for a few days straight.

Same goes for going to see live gigs ;)

yeah, for the last few years of that band i did putty plugs. i think the damage was done in my studio tracking drums, though.

Back