Octava MK012

Glosh

I just picked one up from Guitat Satan I mean Center, and I feel like I am missing something/ Does anyone have one,a nd what does it come with. Any links to Octava would be appreciated too? thanks.

I have two of these mics. I use them pretty much exclusively for drum overheads. The results I've been getting have been surprisingly good.
You should have received the following from GC:
1-base unit (with the XLR connector)
1-"screw on" cardiod capsule (you need this to get a signal)
and 1- "screw on" 10db pad

If they left any of these things out, they didn't sell you the complete mic.

Hope this helps you ... if not here a link: www.oktava.com

thanks man, i did get everything. I got it for $119 which made me suspicious. I am never on that side of the bargain it seems.

i use them for drum overheads as well, but they're also good for much more. try using them on any acoustic stringed instrument. i have two and use them to stereo mic everything from guitars, violins, pianos, etc. they also make great live recording mics. someone was selling omni caps for these on proaudio.net awhile back and i picked some up. excellent when you want to catch a certain room sound or for ensemble recording. i've compared them side by side to nuemann k series small diaghram condensor mics and they're very close. you can't beat them for the money. i've been temppted to buy the oktave large diaghram condensor mic gc sells for $15o, but i already have 2 rode nt2's. hope this helps,

tony

[This message has been edited by tony moore (edited 07-27-1999).]

I haven't had a chance to use them on anything else yet ... but I'm sure that they work well with just about anything. I'm really impressed with these mics, for the money they are a great addition to any set up.
I've also got the MK219, and that's a great value too.

I heard an interesting rumor which may or may not be true, but it might explain all these closeouts and some other things that Guitar Center has (like the load of refurbished Laylas). I should also say that I've bought a lot of stuff from them, including a Celestion speaker I snagged for $40 on my trip last week that I'm waiting for them to ship me, not that anyone needs good speakers anymore with PODs :)

The rumor is that this Russian factory really does make some damn good mics. However what happens is that a Big Audio Importer gets first pick and has his techies go over them by hand and they're sold for good money to top people in true matched pairs, and stuff like that.

The rejects go to Guitar Center.

That's interesting, because when I left the store I really felt like I bought something that had been picked over. It was $119, so i ran and am really happy with how it is sounding, but thanks for that info, I trust those guys as far as I can throw them.

Back