NS10's & a Samson servo 170 Amp, Please Help

vactastic

I just got a pair of ns10's and i was wondering if a samson servo 170 amp will work. The ns10's are rated as such:
8 ohms
Nominal: 60w
Peak:120w

the amp is
85 watt stereo amp rated at 4 ohms

is there a rule of thumb to follow when it comes to matching impedences.

what the does the Nominal/peak ratings mean.

and if the samson doesnt work what would be a good amp to get
on a tight budget.

I just don't understand can someone enlighten me please

thanks in advance

Jason

When an amp is rated at 4 ohms it means the power isnt that impressive, you just chop that in half to get the 8 ohm rating, you see the transducers (monitors) are the only things where the resitance matters.

As far as an 8 ohm speaker sees it that amp is a 42 watt one which is ok for monitoring. you are going to love the ns10s they will tell you right away what is wrong with the mix.:cool:

thanks

So i should be ok then right? I'm not gonna blow any thing up. is there a link anyone could send me to, so i can edumacate myself about this stuff.
thanks for the replies

jason

Re: thanks

vactastic said:
So i should be ok then right? I'm not gonna blow any thing up. is there a link anyone could send me to, so i can edumacate myself about this stuff.
thanks for the replies

jason

try https://homerecording.com/bbs/ :D :D :D

seriously, google for electronics, impedance, speakers, or studiotips.com

Try to find something better than the Samson amp if you can..

Herwig

I don't think theres much wrong with Samson amps. For the home studio market at least.

I have a Servo 170 powering a set of Tannoy Reveals and it does everything I need and more.

Re: Re: thanks

DeadPoet said:

Try to find something better than the Samson amp if you can..

Although they are pitched as budget/starter amps, what is actually wrong with Samson amps? (In your opinion :)

Mike ...

imo: if your gear consists of Behringer, chinese made microphones, hosa cable and the likes, going Samson amps won't make that much a difference.

I'm not trying to look smart or have an attitude, but if your budget allows, try to shoot higher.
(though i think the monitors make much more of a difference than the amp, I'm an active monitors fan)

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
imo: if your gear consists of Behringer, chinese made microphones, hosa cable and the likes, going Samson amps won't make that much a difference.

I'm not trying to look smart or have an attitude, but if your budget allows, try to shoot higher.
Herwig

No attitude detected, I just thought you might have a particular reason for that opinion ... like when people say "Avoid Creative soundcards" (the analog compression, the 48Khz resampling etc.) ...

My basic signal path is Samson Amp, Spirit Absolute Zero monitors, Spirit Soundcraft FX8 mixer as a preamp/signal router, Delta 44, Red Audio RV8/Audio Technica mics ... No Behringer in sight ... :)

Mike.

Back