New studio monitors

M3TA1

I am interested in purchasing a new pair of studio monitors. I've been using the M-Audio BX5s for several years now and think it's time for an upgrade. There isn't anything in particular wrong with these monitors. It's just that they are low budget monitors and I'm so used to them and it's all I've ever had, so I think they're fine. With that being said, I want to purchase another pair that are more expensive and better.

Some background info: I will be using them to mix and track primarily metal music as well as other styles from time to time. I will also be using them for the occasional music listening.

My home studio is around 14 x 11ft and does have some acoustic treatment (no bass traps yet). My studio monitors are relatively close to the wall, however there are acoustic panels right behind them and the monitors will sit on foam pads.

Right now I'm looking at the Yamaha HS5 and HS7. I'm not sure whether I should go with a 5" monitor or something bigger like 6.5" or 7".

What monitor size do you think I should go with and do you think the Yamaha ones I specified are good for my needs?

I'm only interested in buying new and from Long & McQuade:
Studio Monitors, Powered Studio Monitors for Sale in Canada

Thanks!

Hey M3TA1........before we get into new monitors...........and after you've described your room........tell us what's wrong with the monitors you have. Are they not translating well? What are you unhappy about mainly? For a room your size.....though it's not terribly small.........you would be wise to add those bass traps if you're planning to increase the bass output of your monitors. Treatment is as important if not more important than your monitors if they're average consumer grade or better. With proper treatment............you may find you do not need new monitors as much as you think.

As for new monitors........I can guess your price range by what you listed. Here you'll find many different opinions about monitor brands. Lots of us here like the newer JBL LSR series. In any case..........don't just buy new monitors because you're bored with what you have.

Hey M3TA1........before we get into new monitors...........and after you've described your room........tell us what's wrong with the monitors you have. Are they not translating well? What are you unhappy about mainly?

There's nothing in particular that I don't like about my current monitors. As I mentioned, I've been using them for several years now and am simply interested in upgrading from my budget monitors to something better. I'm so used to my M-Audio monitors. I haven't experienced any other monitors. They are the only pair I have ever used.

With that being said, I'm hoping to get something better and more expensive now that I have the budget.

Back