New Mixing Desk

Idgeit

Hey all,

I Started out with a SoundCraft Notepad, and that was all well and good. Then Moved up to a 8 chan Peavey Unity mixer. Now I think its time to move up again, and im wondering dose anyone have any suggestions.

I've Just ordered a M-Audio Delta 1010LT, with another heap of new stuff, but the only problem i have is that, Normally i was only dealing with a Master Left and right output from the mixer into the soundcard. Now Im moving up to 10 inputs. I need a better mixer one that will let me eq every say drum by themsleves, then each chan will separately go into though the 1010LT to CakeWalk. But anyone know of any good 10 chan + mixers that can let me do this?.

Anyone know if the Behringer EURODESK MX9000, Has a direct out for each chan and if its any good?

Thanks

- Idgeit

Last edited:
I used to have an Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:2 which had 16 channels and direct outs on every channel. Perfect for what you are wanting.

Allen and Heath if you can afford it, Soundcraft M8 or M12 if not. Mackies are overpriced by comparison, IMO. I went from Behringer UB --> Yamaha MG --> Soundcraft M, and have been pleasantly surprised by the jumps in quality for low-cost at each step.

I like the look of the m12, dose it have direct outs for each chan?.
And can the side pannells come of to let it be mounted into say a desk?.

- Idgeit

Yes on both counts. The side panels come off to allow mounting to standard equipment rack rails.

The Mackie small format mixers have direct outs and are very underrated in general...they are excellent value bang for buck contrary to popular opinion. I've not used the Behringer Eurotrash, so I wouldn't be able to comment on that....

Its a hard choice,

the soundcraft M12 looks good, but the Allen Heath, just calls!.

All down to the cash i guess..

- Idgeit

If you can get an A+H, get it!! They're seriously good. But the M12 is a genuinely good little mixer, with lots of options. I does what I need it to, anyway. :)

How many mono channels does the M12 have? does it have 100mm faders? How many dedicated aux sends? Does it have built in FX?

I agree that the M12 is just fine, but there are more than likely some reasons why the Allen Heath costs more.

The m12 has 12 Mono inputs.
Im still pretty new to the terms of things, what exactly is "dedicated aux sends".

From what you all have said above, the A&H WZ16:2³, looks like a shooting winner =)
- idgeit

Aux sends are pretty much extra busses with their own volume pots per channel. They are typically used for monitor mixes, headphone mixes, and for routing to FX units like reverbs, delays, etc.... The Mix wiz has 6 dedicated aux sends. Most smaller boards only have 4. Some boards have a sort of combination like the Mackie 1604x series mixers. It has 6 aux sends, but only allows you to use 4 at a time by converting auxes 3&4 to 5&6 by pressing a button. I guess that is better than just haveing 4 auxes, but I hate when people advertise something like that as if it were 6 auxes, since in reality, each channel can only use 4 at a time. The Allen Heath also has 2 FX returns. Basically those are simple channels with no features. Purely a volume pot for putting something like a CD player or reverb back into the main buss. Personally, i never use an FX return unless I need all the other channels for other things. The smaller the board though, the more likely that is to happen. If you can afford the Mix Wiz, I do not think you will regret it. If you can't however, the Soundcraft or a Mackie Onyx are going to be the better of the cheaper boards.

Ok, let's get this clear. The M12 is about £300, the WZ16:2 is almost £900. You're looking at something three times the price. I'll tell you why in a second.

Xstatic - how can you agree that the M12 is just fine when you know nothing about it? Yes it's 100mm faders, it's not a toy!

It's essentially 12 channel strips with four aux sends and three band EQ. Switchable direct outs, insert points and all the usual gubbins. Then there's four line level channels, each of which run in mono or stereo, with basic EQ and all the sends (two either side of fade). Then it's four aux returns and another 'playback' kinda tape return. Plenty of outputs for different recording / monitoring situations.

The Mix Wizard is a 16-channel thing. It has four-band EQ and there are some basic FX onboard, although to do anything useful with them you need to do some dismantling and/or connecting up to a PC.

Let me tell you where the money goes, though. The M12 is a standard all-on-one type surface-mount PCB, as is the norm for so much gear now. The A+H has EACH CHANNEL STRIP ON ITS OWN SEPARATE PCB. As in, when one channel goes, you swap it out and put a new one it, simple as. Also - the main stereo buss is a solid copper rod. This is not cheap electronics - it's servicable, and 'proper' in the strongest sense of the word.

Aside from the oddities of the FX editing, that Mix Wizard is a sorted piece of gear. Proper pres, proper EQ and tonnes of sends. The M12 is a real mixer, it has pres and EQ that are unmatched in its class, but that Allen and Heath is not a comparable product!!!!

Hope that helps. :)

Back