New Mic pre test

acoustictones

Ok, so here's another little test recording I did tonight to see how the Tampa's PreAmp and Compression would fair on a cheap $125 bass.
The test can be found at http://SongRamp.com/DJ and it is titled the "Tampa Compression Test". It's under 45 seconds long. Here are the track notes for the tune and the test:

Quote:
------------------------
This is only a test...

As some of you may know, I have recently purchased a few new pieces of equipment. This little ditty was recorded and is being posted for the soul purpose of testing out the compression section of the new M-Audio's Tampa PreAmp and Compression units.

This was all recorded in just a few minutes. The chord progression was writen on the spot, then the lead guitar was improvised, and then a SIMPLE bass line was tracked.

My goal was to see how the Tampa's PreAmps and Compression faired on a cheap $125 bass.

Once again, I repeat, this is only a test.

Enjoy!

-----------------------

All in all I'm very happy with the results that I'm getting from the Tampa's. For the money they are very hard to beat. The Pre's are pretty good, but the compression section is really what makes these things worth the money.

Please excuse both the playing and the tune that was played on this little test. They were both writen and improvised on the spot.

Also feel free to visit http://www.mixcritique.com/gear1.htm for a full review from Mike Pope of MixCritique.

Nice Bass sound, It could have been a little louder just for the test.
Did you play with a pick?
How much of the compressor did you use?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was considering one of these but could never find any reviews.

Tom

Settings

The bass was completly dry, and the comp settings were as follows:

Threshold:2 dB
Ratio: 3.5:1
Attack: 3ms
Rlease: 1s

These are a little off of what their manual showed but pretty close.

I kept the bass part simple to see how the compressor would handle be beating on some low strings with a pick. And I also wanted to keep the bass a little low in the mix to see how it could cut through or if it would get completly lost. My bass always seemed to get lost when I was recording it through my tech21 bass di. I'm pretty happy with this unit. I bought 2.

Back