New mic boom

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Well, after picking up a new bass today I finally opened the new mic boom I purchased several months ago. I went with an Ultimate Support Pro-R-T-T (on sale $69).

I wanted to make sure I got something that wouldn't sag when I fully extended the boom and after setting this up with the AT2020 and it's XLR cable, all the clamps and adjustments are holding tight and no sagging. This also has some decent tripod legs (13" each) that give it about a 28" base diameter. Has clips for routing the XLR cable.

The boom 9.6 lbs and the mic is 12.1 oz

I got the tripod instead of the round metal base because it folds up into one straight, short piece for neat, quick storage in my closet. Like my camera tripod. If I had a "real" studio with people moving around it, I would have gone with the round metal base as it's less likely someone would trip on it when shuffling about.

The boom extension is D-shaped, flat on one side with a pressure lever to lock it. The main boom section has a twist knob for locking the angle. The weight on the other end of the boom seems kind of small - it's sized and contoured like a large screwdriver handle but doesn't appear to have much going on in the counterweight department.. but it works.
The tripod legs are connected to a center piece which slides up and down the main pole. They have heavy rubber end caps. The legs fold nicely and are stiff, not floppy.

The center piece is pretty weighty for stabilization and has a twist knob to lock the height position. The main shaft extension has a palm-sized collar that twists for locking it's height. All the knobs and levers are plastic and all male threads are metal.

The connector for the AT2020 screwed right on with no problems - no burrs or slightly off thread pitches. Everything feels very substantial, like it'll last forever (hoping).

Back