Monster or not? which one even...

bullyhill

I've bought my share of these price laiden cables, For my rack effects only (short and affordable). For instrument cables I will usually buy LiveWire or the Generic store brand. I decided to upgrade a little and buy a Monster the other day, just one I thought. A simple instrument cable...hmm.

At the local music store I found what I needed, I thought. I came accross the Monster standard 100, Monster 500(Jazz and Rock) and the studio 1000.

After reading the package and seeing the price difference between the rock and the jazz cable I decided to look in to this A little more.
1. Counter person says there is no difference, Buy the rock cable because you play rock. (So I jumped of the bridge too.)
2. Monster states Lower frequency travels slower than Higher and either on the perimiter or inner path of the cable depending on the frequency. (I have know idea)
3. I forgot to mention the keyboard cable, I had to try that one too. For digital and analog I think.

Well what does everyone else think? Are they over priced? Are there other cables you would suggest and has any one listened to the difference in the above cables?

I ended up buying 3 cables Keyboard/rock/jazz. I did this because the sm57 I need so badly costs just a little more than one of these cables and I am going to make sure that if they sound differently I can let my ear decided.

I found the keyboard cable, when used on guitar to be (if i may) mono-dynamic. I guess that is not a real term but that's the only way I can describe it. jazz was nice and clean when distorted, easier to control sloppy hands but on a clean channel not as bright up high as the rock. I am not the most well rounded guitar player out there but I thought it would be brighter. The mids where sweat and I couldn't tell the difference on the low end vs the rock cable.
I ended up with the the jazz all in all for myself I liked the sound.
I'm glad I didn't follow the bridge jumper...and maybe I'm just paying to much attention to this.
Thanks

I find doubling up the cables really make these cables shine.

Connect a monster rock cable to a jazz cable = Fusion

Country Cable to a Rock cable = Country Rock

Country Rock Cable / Rock Cable / Jazz Cable / Keyboard Cable = ??? Metheny?

Triple them up, Rock Cable / Rock Cable / Rock Cable = Heavy Metal

The possibilities are endless.

If you can hear the subtle differences, power to you. I don't think there is that much difference, and labeling cables by genre is amusing if anything.

But, again.. if you can hear the differences - rock on!

Sounds like a lot of bullshit to me (the Monster hype, not Emeric's great post).

Best solution - buy some good canare or belden or mogami cable, some switchcraft or neutrik connecters and make your own at a fraction of the price.

Yup,

LOL- You almost got me but no one buys 3 Monster cables to play Heavy Metal, we can't afford it.
My usual amount to spend is pretty low and I am satisfied.
The hype of the Monster I can't easily justify the cost, but some recent noise has forced me to try some different things like changing tubes and new cables, no luck, still have noise. There is a difference though not in quality of sound and not as subtle as a coil tap on a PRS...hey they are over priced too...hmm.
Live Wire from now on or the Music Land special.

Last edited:
Back