Monitors KRK RP5, Yamaha HS50, or KRK V6 black driver

malice930

I trying to decide on upgrading my rokit rp5's. I was listening to my friends dynaudio bm5a's and they are amazing. So I took a trip to guitar center and AB'ed a bunch of different monitors in my price range. Well the dynaudio's are clearly out of my budget. But what I can afford is a used pair of V6's with the black cone or a new set of Yamaha HS50's. When AB'ing all these monitors, the rocket 5's sounded like they had a blanket over them. The highend was muffled, even adjusting the switch in the back only made a slight difference. HS50's kinda was the closest thing to the dynaudios that I could afford. Obvious there is a lack of bass definition because of the woofer size, but midrange was comparative and also the high end was smooth. I checked out the BX5a's by m-audio. They are just to harsh of a speaker.

Question
Should I keep the rp5's - I've had them for a year. Upgrade to the HS50's or get a used pair of KRK V6's.

malice930,

I had a set of krk v4's for about a year. If the v6 work as well, they will be well worth the money. They aren't the best sounding, but they translate extremely well (and that is what its all about). If you get a good price on the krk's used, then you can use them. If you don't like them sell them for what you paid for them and go hunting again!

thanks for the reply, that's probably what I'll do. Get the used v6's and if I don't like them then I'll just seel them.

try a sub with the RP 5's yet?

the RP5 will most likely sound like a new speaker set with a sub.
a 5" is a very nice size for upper mids. the tweeter taking 2K and up approx.

try one, its easy and quick and you can take it back in a few days if it ain't your bag.

try a sub with the RP 5's yet?

the RP5 will most likely sound like a new speaker set with a sub.
a 5" is a very nice size for upper mids. the tweeter taking 2K and up approx.

try one, its easy and quick and you can take it back in a few days if it ain't your bag.

Coolcat,
Is this the set up you use?

If so, which subwoofer?

Thanks

Back