Monitor power question

scodu

Hey everybody,
A friend of mine just sold me a pair of Event 20/20 monitors for a hundred bucks!. Now I need a power amp I have found a Hafler TA1600 for $150. My question is the Monitors are rated at 150 watts the amp is only 75 per side, is there going to be any problems with an amp that is half the power that the speakers can handle?

Thanks,
Scott

i think the only problem is that you wont be using your monitors to the maximum of their capability, but the sound should come out fine.

I use 20/20's with a TA1600. As long as you don't push it too hard it's not a problem. I can get like 105db out of the combo without any clipping, which is plenty loud for nearfields.

Event recommends an amp that can deliver at least 100W per side, and the rule of thumb is that more power is always better. However, the TA1600 is one of the best deals you can get on a power amplifier, even if it is only 75W into 4ohms. It's really a great sounding amplifier...I couldn't believe the difference.

Slackmaster 2000

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I think 105 db is going to be plenty as close as I am to these monitors.

Scott

You may want to PM Barefoot and get a definitive answer. I'm not much of a speaker tech guy, but my rule of thumb is usually to have a power amp that is at least twice the watts (per side) of the speaker rating.

It's not so much for loudness, but accuracy in reproducing quick transients. And, of course, to insure that the speaker isn't trying to reproduce a clipped signal coming from the power amp. At least that's what I've always thought - I welcome Barefoot's corrections if this is a misconception.

Just be careful not to let the amp clip. Speakers can be damaged more by clipping an underpowered amp than by driving them with an overly large amp.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back