Mixing with Monitors and/or Headphones

adam79

I currently only have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones and a pair of Bose 301 Series IV Bookshelf Speakers for mixdown. I desperately need a pair of monitors. I don't have much of a budget tho, probably around $200. The only monitors I've researched that seem anywhere near acceptable are the JBL LSR 305's. I'd preferably like to get a pair of monitors that fully cover the frequency spectrum; the LSR305's are somewhere in the low 40Hz's.

If I waited to save up more cash, how much would I be spending to get a pair that cover the full freq spectrum and have a flat response that stays true to the sound and really brings out the flaws of the mix? It also be nice to grab a pair that don't have a port, or atleast a front loaded one. I've read really great things about the Focal Alpha 65's, but a pair of those would run me close to $800.
currently only have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones and a pair of Bose 301 Series IV Bookshelf Speakers for mixdown. I desperately need a pair of monitors. I don't have much of a budget tho, probably around $200. The only monitors I've researched that seem anywhere near acceptable are the JBL LSR 305's. I'd preferably like to get a pair of monitors that fully cover the frequency spectrum; the LSR305's are somewhere in the low 40Hz's.

If I waited to save up more cash, how much would I be spending to get a pair that cover the full freq spectrum and have a flat response that stays true to the sound and really brings out the flaws of the mix? It also be nice to grab a pair that don't have a port, or atleast a front loaded one. I've read really great things about the Focal Alpha 65's, but a pair of those would run me close to $800.

My small budget also limited my ability to purchase any acoustical treatment; it's WAY heavier than my wallet. I do plan on treating my room in the future, but until then, is it pointless to invest in monitors? Or will they still improve my mixing with just some cheap, heavy moving blankets, as a temporary sound absorbent?

I'm not looking to build a top of the line professional setup here, I just want to be able to accurately hear an honest representation of what I have tracked and be able to make the correct mixing decisions.

If it matters, I mix mainly hard/heavy rock, punk.. so basically alot of rock.

Thanks,
-Adam

Last edited:
Back