Mixer, Mic pre, Audio Interface ect.

braincoil

Hello! My first post here. Please Excuse me, I have no time for introductions, I have to buy this gear quick and I need Answers! lol

Basically, I want to set up a (Very Cheap) "Demo" Studio...Stuff thats good enough to sound decent, store my ideas, post on youtube ect. So buying a $1000 Mic pre is out of the question.

However, all I have is Cubase and Behringer xm8500.

I need some mic pre's to record DRUMS. I was thinking 6 pres would be good, however, I could get away with 4 (two overheads, bass, snare. or two overheads, bass, & room mic).

Question is, Mic pres or Mixer? I can't find decent mic pres that cost the same price as a (usb) mixer that has just as many pres. Would the sound be the same?

Are the Behringer Xenyx any good? They are USB so I wouldn't need to mess with a audio interface.
I could get the Xenyx with 6 Mix pres, and onboard effects for about 180.
Or the One with 4 mic pres for less than 130.

Is this the way to go?

They are USB so I wouldn't need to mess with a audio interface.

What exactly do you want to do? You may find you have no choice but to 'mess with a audio interface'.

The Xenyx delivers just two channels (Left and right) via USB.

If you are miking a drum kit, mixing it down to two tracks, then recording these two tracks, the Xenyx will be fine with whatever preamps it has.

If, on the other hand, you want to record four tracks (e.g. one for each of the drum mikes) simultaneously, then you will need an interface that will do handle four tracks (or more).

If that is the case, forget about pres, forget about mixers, and look at interfaces. There are, of course, mixers that can deliver many channels to the computer (e.g. Presonus StudioLive), but the prices are high.

"The Xenyx delivers just two channels (Left and right) via USB."

"If, on the other hand, you want to record four tracks (e.g. one for each of the drum mikes) simultaneously, then you will need an interface that will do handle four tracks (or more)."

Are you sure this is on All Xenyx mixers? If you go to the behringer website, and go to the X1222USB page, and scroll all the way down and look at the "recording setup section" they show recording 7 instruments (simultaneously) all going directly via USB. I'm confused....

BTW, I cant post any URL until I have more posts under my belt...

true but theres no mention of more than two channels going out via usb so its more than likely thats all your going to get i'd check the pdf manual before i invested in something that might now suite your needs

What exactly do you want to do? You may find you have no choice but to 'mess with a audio interface'.

The Xenyx delivers just two channels (Left and right) via USB.

If you are miking a drum kit, mixing it down to two tracks, then recording these two tracks, the Xenyx will be fine with whatever preamps it has.

If, on the other hand, you want to record four tracks (e.g. one for each of the drum mikes) simultaneously, then you will need an interface that will do handle four tracks (or more).

You know, I think you are right about the USB only tracking a single stereo out on the Xenyx mixers...too bad.

So now my question is, would still buying a Xenyx mixer with 6 mic pres, Then buying a Audio interface with several in / outs hooked up to it, be my best bet?

Or would buying something like this be cheaper / better / easier...Product: US-1641 | TASCAM

or http://tascam.com/product/us-1800/

Last edited:
the usb tascam work well with my pc for some reason (chipset?)

i have the 1641 (1800) and it was really cheap and offered more inputs than my 2 input unit. it was really a good price for me.
got one used on CL for $175.

it works with Cubase too, that you're using.

i was looking to add the Xenyx too, USB out is 2 channels.
the multi-tracking are firewire , like the Mackies and those are much more expensive.

You mentioned around $180 or so.... 1800/1641 is where I was too.

the mixers that are firewire offer multi-output, versus the usb type that currently have two output ...

lookup Mackie Firewire mixers and compare to the Behringer USB Xyenx your talking about and it will make more sense.

the USB mixer your referring to is $150 or so....the Mackie Firewire are more expensive.

I like the Tascam, for its price its a great deal imo. Does it have good preamps? Compared to its class yes, compared to $5000 pre's probably not...

Back