Mixer comparions: EURODESK MX802A or the Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro?

Zach

Hi, I'm wanting to buy a mixer board for some home recording. I'll be using my SM-57 mic mostly for classical/acoustic guitar, as well as going direct line-in from my guitar amp.
I'll be going from the mixer into my Sound Blaster Live line-in.
The Mackie retails for $380, the Behringer Eurodesk retails for $200. I'm wondering how much of a sound quality difference there really is between these boards. Anyone had the pleasure of working with both? I'm familiar with the Mackie 1202 but haven't messed with the Behringer.
I'd rather buy a good piece of equipment once than wasting money on half-assed stuff.

As oddly as it might seem, I sort-of feel a loyalty toward Mackie for my intended live purposes. Ofcourse, I also (like most of this generation) started out with a Mackie (SR24-4) in my home studio. For the three years I had it, I lugged it around at least every other weekend (usually more) all over Northern California (without a case) with countless numbers of knob turning and pluging & unpluging. As my ear trained over the years, I realized how much it just wasn't cutting it in the studio; it was quiet enough for me, but was just too steril. So I glanced in the paper for a few weeks and found a 32-ch. Soundcraft 200B console being sold by a "getting out of the business" local studio (known for SWV's debute album). The sound was night compared to the day (Mackie). Needless to say I bought it and sold my SR24-4 Mackie. I had a problem though because I still needed a live board (the Soundcraft is too large for my live applications). And so with all my reliable experience with Mackie, I bought a 1604VLZ-PRO to go in my live roll-rack. Not only is Mackie reliable, it also has a clean, crisp sound which I love for live sound-renforcement because you're able to here every instrument in detail. I don't know, I would just feel guilty if I were to buy a Beringer; it's not the real thing. But I know only those who've had the same kind-of Mackie reliability experience will be able to understand. I don't mean to offend any Beringer users. I have not had any experience with a Beringer; maybe they're just as reliable. Would anyone mind sharing there Beringer experience (pos. or neg.).

It sounds to me like you are going to be doing one-track-at-a-time type stuff. If so...save a few hundred bucks and buy a single mic preamp. You only need a mixer if you are going to record multiple signals at once...

As of now I'll only be doing single track stuff. But I want to expand in the future, so I'm just getting the mixer now and saving money in the long run.

the mackie 1202 is an excellent mixer, and is by far the most commonly recommended inexpensive mixer around. you get what you pay for, so try not to compare it to the less-expensive behringer - the electronics in the mackie are clearly better. also, the mixer is the heart of your system, and it needs to be CLEAN, which requires that the electronics be flawless, AND you have to learn how to use it properly. at any rate, you will not regret spending a little more money for the mackie.

Zach,

Firstly, if possible I highly recommend you demo both mixers first to see which sounds best to you. Secondly, I think you'll be happy with a mixer if you can afford it now. Like you, I started off only single tracking. But I quickly found I needed a mixer to get those occassional multitrack takes. Not to mention that the preamps in a good mixer make your microphone(s) sound soooo much better. Finally, I am very happy with my Behringer Eurodesk MX1602A. It cost me $249. I demoed it against the Mackie 1202, and I could not tell the difference in sound quality. And it makes my mikes sound better and cleaner than my ART Tube MP preamp. Hope this helps...Happy Recording!

Ranger

normaly mackie mixers are better quality than behringers but thats only normaly. It also depends on how loud you want your music to play. i had a 1602 which i changed for a 2004 and ive been compleatly happy with both of them.
You will probobly upgrade again in the future so you should probobly go for the cheaper one.

Zach,
I had made a few other posts about mixers. I would suggest looking at the Alesis 12R mixer. It sounds great, and it has features some of the other small boards do not have. I have had several small Mackie boards, but none of them compares to flexibility of this board.

Berhinger VS. Mackie???

I'm kinda like the other guy who used Mackie for a while, just to add that this was the first brand of mixers I chose to go with. I used Mackie for at least 3 years and I was satisfied with it... I later sold that board which was a 14 or 16 channel board because of financial reasons...This was about ten years ago so the onboard effects was not quite on the scene for consumer boards just yet, I think they were just starting to intergrate FX on the mixer boards, like I said for consumers. I'm sure for professional studios this may have well already been a feature.

My point is that I was forced to go down in price for another mixer and ended up getting a Berhinger just cause for the price range- it was beating out the competition like Yamaha, Tascam, and some other ones... The only board that I could find comparable was the Mackie and that was because I used it before... Surprisingly, The guys from Germany must have known what they were doing because IT SOUNDED BETTER. It felt like it was more clear, and not as dull as the Mackie, and Mackie's really aren't dull they just give you a flat response which then you adjust right on the board's eq. It was like it was more Warm and the signal was free. Free meaning you just didn't hear any confinements know what I mean?

Now, like the engineer from Cali had stated, I as well don't know how good the electronics inside the board are but I would test both if possible... At the same time!!! Otherwise your defeating the purpose. I can't say that Mackie has better gutts for the electros, but I will say that I have been using Berhinger ever since. Seemed like it was cleaner, less air on the mixer, and who knows maybe I just liked it cause I was satisfied with price and performance. They say Berhingers's can be a little more muddier sound than Mackie but I think that depends on the project whether live sound or studio recording. If your an engineer like myself having a little rough ends dosen't hurt because it also gives a unique sound coupled with a good mix and levels of course. Still clear but not too digital. Again this was about 2002 when I got rid of my Mackie so they may have improved on the motherboard circuits overall output of the boards.

Pricewise concious- get the Berhinger.
Cost not a factor- get the Mackie, possible rent both units to compare side by side with same media. Or get both if you have the money... Never hurts to have a submix from another board. A technique engineers may or may not use. But I do especially if I have 2 good boards. But generally, you want to keep your chain as small as possible before the signal goes into your recording media.

Again, at the end its a preference and what your going to be satisfied with for the money and skill level.... Just to put it out there, I haven't gave up on Mackie.

I mean all I ever hear for mackie is that its very tough and reliable. But all behringer gear I've had is quite good, although I have only used the eurodesk 24 channel many times at a local venue to mix on. And a smaller behri mixer I use for band rehearsals never had a problem. Other than mixers I have only great things to say for their ada8000 adat converter.

Mackie and Behringer use the same Op-Amps inside'

Mackie and Behringer use the same Op-Amps inside', I believe them to be the 4580 operational amplifiers, older Mackie mixers might have used the 4560 Op Amps.

Anyways I have done a comparison of the two mixer companies, A/B comparison of Mackie and Behringer, and I think the Behringer sounds just as good or better than Mackie, I am sorry to say that Mackie is just way too overpriced, even used on eBay.

I have bought some Behringer mixers used MX802a, MX1604a, and the top line MX-9000. I am happy with all of them. They need maintenance after 8 years like using CAIG DE-OX-IT spray cleaner/lubricant on the faders, pots, switches every 8 years or so, just like all studio and stereo gear, even the Mackie's and especially the Mackie mixers need allot of TLC in that regard, and their internal ribbon cables go bad by oxidation.

Apparently Behringer also uses Panasonic faders and Switchcraft potentiometers parts.

I don't know what Mackie uses. But I know the new Mackie mixers I have tried feel very loose on all their knobs and faders. Can I say cheaply made?

Soundcraft and Allen & Heath mixers blow away Mackie and Behringer any day of the week, and cost just a little more than the way over priced Mackie mixers. Mackie is just way too hyped and slick advertising and humor.

I would go with Behringer for good value and price, and then if you want, step up to maybe Allen & Heath or equivalent.

Stay away from Mackie, they are not built like tanks and are not reliable as the Gestapo propaganda dictates'.

If you have the money to spend on Mackie go with a better brand, don't waste your money. Mackie is like the way high overpriced Behringer with no difference in sound quality or build, in my opinion.

If you don't believe me, try a Mackie in the store and feel the quality or lack of it. Compare it to Allen & Heath, no comparison !!! Price is close though.

I tried Mackie's new XLR mic pre amps, they sound well...exactly like Behringer.

Why bother............I am saving my money for a better musical instrument, effects, drums, keyboards, computer system, software etc.

Last edited:
I have both a 1202vlz and a behringeringer something or other. I've had the mackie for 10 years and the berhinger for about 6. The buttons on my mackie stick and I have to press them a certain way for them to work.

My behringer has no issues except once I dropped some heavy headphones on the master slider and now no sound comes out the right main output. I'm somewhat convinced that had I dropped the headphones on the mackie that it would still work.

Soundwise, they both are just fine for me.

i have the behri euro 1604a...no issues at all...few years old, clean sound and everything works :)

Hey, Zach. I know you haven't been on this Board for almost a decade, but if you happen by, let us know what you decided.:D

Back