Mediasonic HUR3-su3s3 3.5" 2-Bay USB3.0 eSATA RAID Enclosure

keith.rogers

The title's a mouthful, but this company makes a slew of cheap enclosures, so wanted to be specific.

This particular model appears to be a few years old. I got it for $59.71USD via NewEgg along with a couple of 3TB WD drives. It all arrived yesterday and has been humming along for just about 24 hours, so I can't vouch for reliability, but so far, so good.

There are some negative reviews but overall it seems to get a decent number of happy customers. I have a cheap Oyen Digital controller/enclosure for 2.5" drives but it's almost $100 and I was looking to go as cheaply as possible. Whether that was a mistake or not I guess I'll find out, or not, but enough folks said they'd managed to replace a drive using RAID 1 (as I have set it up), and it worked as advertised. That's all I need.

It all popped together just like it should and I had zero problems configuring it. Just follow the instructions in the order they're numbered!

It's got a fan, which was another selling point, since I keep wondering about the fanless 2.5" rig - so much I actually have it running unenclosed. But, the fan adds a little noise, though I don't have SSDs so on a relative scale, both those spinning 2.5" drives are not quiet enough to keep sitting out. So, I've got the 2.5" RAID (for audio) sitting in a closet, and that's where the new one will go when the 15' cable I just ordered arrives. In the mean time I can just turn it off most of the time because it will only be holding video projects, and that's only something I tackle a couple times a month.

The one thing I discovered was that because the case has a USB 3.0 A-B connector, I couldn't find a flat USB cable, while flat A-microB cables are easy to find. It's still going to go under the rug, but it's a rug on the side of the room with just a guitar stand on it, so not really going to be walked over. I guess somewhere there's a microB-B adapter but, you know, cheapness...
raid2-1.jpgraid2-2.jpgraid2-3.jpg

Just a quick status update - copied the video stuff from the other RAID system to this and it's been running in the closet next to the smaller 2.5" RAID (audio projects on that one) for over 2 weeks at the end of a 15' cable. Still all systems go.
2018-05-31 09.14.11.jpg

Back