low volume issues with unbalanced 1/4" synth into 1/4" balanced inputs

johnnymegabyte

I have been experiencing low volume issues with unbalanced 1/4" synth into 1/4" balanced inputs on my Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 mixer / audio interface.
AKA The Quarter Inch Dilemma. unbalanced output from synth into balanced input = lower volume
I just recently discovered the inputs were balanced.
Actually, there are two devices I am experiencing issues with. Roland synth and Yamaha DTX500 electric drums, both have unbalanced outputs and I have them both with 2 1/4" jacks each into the stereo 1/4" Input pairs of my Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 mixer / audio interface. 13/14 & 15/16
I'm guestimating, the volume into the mixer is between 50 and 75% of what it should be. And when I am recording ideas, these channels get picked up rather low by my DAW.

I have a Zoom G5 guitar processor and the signal into the mixer is fine. Also connected by a pair of 1/4" cables
Actually, when we jam with everything into the mixer and play through the mini-PA or via headphones, I have to drop the volume on the channel the Zoom G5 is connected to balance it out.
Either that or put the Synth and drums volume ridiculously high, and sometimes full volume on the channel still isn't loud enough

I know balanced versus unbalanced theory, but does anyone have a solution, or remedy to bring the levels up into the mixer / audio interface ?
Some form of pre-amp or signal booster. That's why I'm asking. I need some help.

If the unbalanced into balanced is really the problem then it's a simple matter of buying or building an adapting cable that has a TS on one end and a TRS on the other, with the tips and sleeves wired together and the one ring not connected. A common 1/4" "mono to stereo" adapter won't work.

But some keyboard outputs are kind of low to begin with. Maybe a direct box, which would connect to the mic input, would get you more gain. Since the keyboard output is active you could probably get by with a decent passive DI.

Are you plugging into the 1/4" balanced inputs (same channels that have the XLR connectors) or one of the stereo 1/4" channels? If the latter, try plugging into the balanced input instead.
The stereo 1/4" channels are not balanced, but you're only feeding one 'side' of the stereo input hence the reduced volume. Same thing happened to me when plugging into my Mackie mixer - solution, a 1/4" mono (TS jack) to 1/4" stereo (TRS plug) adapter.

Are you plugging into the 1/4" balanced inputs (same channels that have the XLR connectors) or one of the stereo 1/4" channels? If the latter, try plugging into the balanced input instead.
The stereo 1/4" channels are not balanced, but you're only feeding one 'side' of the stereo input hence the reduced volume. Same thing happened to me when plugging into my Mackie mixer - solution, a 1/4" mono (TS jack) to 1/4" stereo (TRS plug) adapter.
OK, looks like TS to TRS adapter for me. Was your adapter TS Female to TRS Male ?

follow up.
1/4" TS into a DI box to XLR actually made volume DROP
1/4" TS to TRS adaptor. No Difference
The backing tracks Inside the DTX500 are extremely loud, but the drums output aren't ... outputs together thru the L + R 1/4" jacks

Also I contacted Yamaha, regarding a MIDI issue. There is a known problem with the DTX Processer. Yamaha Canada wouldn't help and I am SOL.

Back