Low priced DIY projects and improvements for your studio.

Im right now working on another homeade isolation box to house my amp. the cost was 16.00, compared to the randall 400.00.

I have also dreamed up and built shockmounts for only $.65 apiece to build.

Its occoured to me that maybe some others here have partaken in a low priced project and would like to share thier design and ideas with others here.

anybody want to share?

I had a carpenter friend of mine build me this desk for about $170. It has curly maple sides. I painted and preped it myself. Being a painter and all.
I also mad emy own rack mounted mic panel out of a piece of aluminium angle iron.

Here's the desk

Attachments

• nick desk (2).jpg
    nick desk (2).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 165
SS454 said:
I had a carpenter friend of mine build me this desk for about $170. It has curly maple sides. I painted and preped it myself. Being a painter and all.
I also mad emy own rack mounted mic panel out of a piece of aluminium angle iron.

Here's the desk

Nice job.

Ditto - I'd like to see your plans for the isolation box.

I remember your microphone shock mount , pretty clever.

There are iso box plans in the "Desks" section on LongSoughtFor's site......see my last post.

:cool:

SS,

There are a couple of pics of my console "desk" which I built and I will be needing a PC iso-box soon, so you can bet I'll be looking at the plans in that gallery for ideas.

Yeah I do remember posting pics and plans for those shockmounts in a thread about shockmounts for mc 012. Ill try to find a link for that.

My isolation boxes are maybe smaller than you may need because the amps Im using are a Tech 21 trademark 10, and a crate VC05, both with 8" speakers.

Im using 1/2 inch partical board, lined with black soundstop and carpet, with studiofoam. a mic flange from radio shack. and a 6" flexable boom. Black spraypaint for making them look good.

Darrin,

My take on this, which I may end up building, is to do a "box within a box" design. Obviously the inner box can have acoustic treatment or whatever, then mount it in an outer box with the minimum number of contact points between them, (I had even considered suspending the inner box on chain or rigging wire), then pack the void with rockwool. etc. Make up an air-tight door system, allow for power supply, line and mic inputs, etc., and you're almost there.

The design is in my head, but hopefully I have given you some food for thought.

Darrin,

My take on this, which I may end up building, is to do a "box within a box" design. Obviously the inner box can have acoustic treatment or whatever, then mount it in an outer box with the minimum number of contact points between them, (I had even considered suspending the inner box on chain or rigging wire), then pack the void with rockwool. etc. Make up an air-tight door system, allow for power supply, line and mic inputs, etc., and you're almost there.

The design is in my head, but hopefully I have given you some food for thought.

I am picturing in my head something that is alot bigger than Id like to try to store. all I have to deal with though is getting the amp a miniroom that sound wont bleed into the drummers tracks and vice versa, Its allready outside of the vocal/drum booth. My design is working for me.

I can only get the 3/4' inch MDF but I double up on the soundstop and use accoustic foam all over the inside so the mic wont pick up any echo at all. It sounds as though the amp is in a space with no walls. and No other sound gets in. the dementions of my boxes are 16"x24"x18" the foam and soundstop is left over from when I built my dedicated studio rooms in my Basement.

Back