Looking to upgrade my studio amp

v3nge

When I was 18 or 19 I was talked into buying a Blackstar HT Stage 60 combo with 2x12 speakers at Sam Ash. Needless to say, it's a little bit much for what I need in the studio and despite trying everything I can think of, I've never been able to get a crunchy or distorted sound that I'm satisfied with. So my birthday is coming up, as is my tax return, so I'm considering selling the Blackstar and buying myself a new amp. I'd love some suggestions.

Here are the amps I'm looking at:

-Fender Princeton Reverb '68 custom
-Fender ’65 Princeton Reverb
-Vox Custom AC15C1
-Possibly a used Mesa Boogie 22 Studio?
-I'm also considering an Eleven Rack (I've heard mixed reviews, if anyone has experience with these please share!)

I play alternative rock mostly, stuff like Sliversun Pickups, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. I use a Fender Strat usually, but sometimes I use my Les Paul Studio if I'm double tracking or doing two guitars on the same song.
Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help!

6g2 Princeton ! Anyway, Wampler has a vid comparison of amps through the same speaker that can help you get a handle on amp character. Then you just have to worry about speakers. Having something with enough power to push some speakers can be a factor, also.

There's always Grammatico

Thanks! 6g2 is just barely out of my price range, though. Although, I am considering a Deluxe reverb now (I know it's not that much cheaper), not sure how they do as studio amps though.

I'd probably have more trust with the used Boogie. You know boogie was born out of the Princeton, right ? Did you care 6v6 or el84 ? I had a silver face Deluxe after the 6g2 and it didn't do much for me. Still pretty good, though.

I didn't know that about the Boogie. That definitely makes it an interesting option! Was your deluxe a 65 RI or a 68 RI? Or was it vintage? I tend to prefer the 68 RI's.

I got the Deluxe from my fishing bud around 1980, so It might of been mid/late '70s. I really don't remember. It was only for a soundhole pickup on his acoustic Guilds. I got all three fender from friends. A BF Twin around '68, the Princeton around '72. In my poor boy quest for another Princeton, I might of got the Excelsior, but I don't have room for a 15-inch box. Had to settle for a Cub 10 for my 6v6 thirst. I ordered a 8-inch Weber for it the same day the Laney came back into stock online

If you're looking for something to record with that you can crank and get some natural distortion you might check out the vox ac4. It was still too loud for my condo but lately I've been able to crank this thing up a bit and it makes a great recording amp. If I had a bunch of extra money I'd buy one of the supro re-issue amps, great natural distortion at low wattage.

Back