Looking for a Soundboard. Any Suggestions?

LIBillsFan

Hi all,
Im looking to purchase a soundboard to record with. Can anyone direct me as to which would be a good one that will make my recordings sound professional? Thanks for any help or suggestions you may be able to give me.

No such soundboard exists.

The making of a 'professional' sound requires a number of different factors where the board is a link in a chain.

Further, and just to fan some flames, there's a lot of cork-sniffing that goes with the "sound" of an analog soundboard. Some folks have the ability to discern otherwise inaudible artifacts, but generally not near so many as think so. Modern electronics are remarkably clean and accurate at amazingly affordable price-points today. Craigslist is your friend where you can obtain quite capable analog boards for the price of the road case they come in.

As you gain experience -- and truly, that's the inexplicable factor of success -- you'll find certain settings on certain gear are more to your liking to accomplish certain goals... that are always changing. So don't count on buying THE board on the first shot. Indeed, you may be ahead working your way through boards and control surfaces to find your comfy place.

Budget is the key. Establish a number. Say $400. Now... see where that puts you on both the new and used markets. Add up all the inputs you could ever think of using, then add a few more. Some guys do all their tracking on a small 4 channel board, laying down one track at a time and they're content, productive, and fruitful. Others think that 56 channels are a bit confining but by juggling around, can make it all fit. You'll have to see where your mental flow puts you depending on whatcha wanna do.

I'm guessing by your question that you're new to the game so pick a project and get going. If there's one lesson that I have to learn over and over again -- and was made painfully aware yet again just YESTERDAY -- is that you can't foresee your needs anywhere near as well as you think you can. You gotta get in, get busy, get stuff done, reevaluate, rearrange, reconfigure, take on something else, get busy, wash, rinse, repeat. It's a growth cycle.

P5

Back