Looking for a new mixer - must have separate channel outputs.

dwkman0117

I just purchased a M-Audio Delta 1010lt, I currently have a Behringer Eurotrack UB1202 and I don't believe I can run separate line outs per channel into my new card. So, what do I look for in a new mixer, around $100, that will give me what I need? I am looking for roughly 6 channels for recording my drums.

Thanks in advance..

Dave

If your okay with another Behringer (and at your price range I assume you are) then at the absolute minimum you would need at least a UB1222FX which has 6 mic channels (4 of which have inserts) then the remaining 2 outputs would have to come from either the moniter and FX sends or get hard panned L&R out of the main outs. Not as simple as just having all direct inserts, but it will work.

Its probaby much better and easier to just get something with at least 6 (or more) dedicated mic channel inserts to begin with. I know the UB1832FX has 6 and the UB2222FX has 8. I didnt understand why you would be seeking only 6 to begin with until I saw your Delta already has 2 mic pre's of its own for a total of 8. You may actually prefer the UB1832FX over the UB2222FX in this case, just for it's 7 band EQ. I'd look into other brands as well, but $100 should be able to score you at least one of the above UB series on the used market. Dont know how far it will get you with any other brands or anything new.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, in the mean time you can probably get more than you think out of what you already have. Try this:

Kick : Delta mic preamp 1
Snare : Delta mic preamp 2
Overhead L : 1202 channel 1 panned hard left into main left out
Overhead R : 1202 channel 2 panned hard right into main right out
Toms : Blend all together into 1202 moniter out using remaining channels

* If you dont want your mid and hi tom sharing one mic go with just one overhead and use that extra channel for your floor tom then blend the other two seperate tom mics into one moniter out as before.

Also, you have a good enough set up to easily use just a 3 or 4 mic technique without any toms. Try it, you may actally end up liking it better. Even pro's often do it that way.

Thanks for the info!
I am currently trying the pan L, R idea - how does the "Blend all together into 1202 moniter out using remaining channels"
deal work? I don't have a monitor out - I have Main out, FX send, Cntrl Room Out and tape out. Are you saying that I can use the main outs with the pan to create to separate channels.. I got that, but I am not sure of the other ...

oops, sorry for any confusion. At quick glance I assumed the red knob on each channel was a moniter level but its actually an FX level. Same difference for what your trying to do though. Just turn up the FX level on each channel that is micing a tom and all the toms will be routed together into the boards one single effects send output which will become your third and final individual mixer channel to feed the card. And yes, your other two channels will be your R and L panned.

You can probably get away just fine for a while processing all the toms as a whole like this on one multitrack channel assuming all thier individual levels are perfectly matched to eachother at the board. Also, leave all your EQ's flat and save that for post processing.

I seem to be running into a small panning problem though... In Sonar, after the tracks are recorded, I can't seem to pan the drums I recorded. I try to pan the High Hat hard left and the sound appears to stay almost center... same with the other tracks? Any thoughts?

I dont know how you ultimately ended up micing everything but it sounds like possibly your high hat bled into another mic channel that is panned mono (such as the snare). Also make sure anything routed to the FX send did not also get routed to the main outs and vice versa. To troubleshoot it, playback each track individually to see how much hi hat (or other sounds you didnt intend to pick up with that mic) you hear on that particular channel. Theres always going to be some bleed, your just trying to minimize it.

I think your best bet for a good stereo image is to just mix all the channels near mono with the exception of the two overheads which should be panned in thier respective directions.

Also, make sure both your sonar and PC is indeed outputting a stereo signal

NRS
Thanks for the help - I got it figured out -
One more question for you... The preamps on the card kinda blow, so - if I only need 2 more channels, would you suggest buying a preamp(possibly the m-audio buddy $79) or looking for a inexpensive mixer... I am leaning towards the preamp, but wanted your thoughts!

Thanks

NRS said:
I dont know how you ultimately ended up micing everything but it sounds like possibly your high hat bled into another mic channel that is panned mono (such as the snare). Also make sure anything routed to the FX send did not also get routed to the main outs and vice versa. To troubleshoot it, playback each track individually to see how much hi hat (or other sounds you didnt intend to pick up with that mic) you hear on that particular channel. Theres always going to be some bleed, your just trying to minimize it.

I think your best bet for a good stereo image is to just mix all the channels near mono with the exception of the two overheads which should be panned in thier respective directions.

Also, make sure both your sonar and PC is indeed outputting a stereo signal

Question then: If I am trying to use the FX send, won't the channel also be routed automatically to the main outs? How can I make it so it won't be. I have hat on the 3rd input and I only have the send vol up on that one - but I also need the volume on that line up too...
Thanks

Back