Looking to mix 2 3.5mm headphone inputs to 4 3.5mm outputs.

The T

Okay, to anyone who's read my other threads: I've decided to just try to take a cheaper route.

All I want to do is be able to take 2 3.5mm TRS cords (one is going from a microphone that has a headphone jack and one is going from a TV which also has a headphone jack) and I want to be able to mix their audios together and separately control the volume on them.

Then I want to be able to output the audio to 4 other headphones.

The quality overall doesn't matter; this is only going to be used so we can hear both each other and the game we are playing on the TV at the same time. The recording of the microphone is going through USB.

So I'd like to know if there is a mixer or 2 that would accomplish this as cheaply as possible.

I've looked and I've seen things that split the headphones up, and mixers that are too expensive for what we want to do and I'm not even sure if they have the right inputs.

So please help me. I need to get it by next week...

Probably some used DJ mixer with 2 line inputs and a Behringer HA400 MicroAMP headphone distribution amp would be the cheapest way to get it done. Add the headphones, a TRS-TRS cable and a pair of 3.5mm to dual RCA cables and I think you're there. The outputs would be 1/4" so you may need adapters for the headphones.

You're saying there really isn't anything at all that can combine 2 regular headphone inputs? Nothing at all?

You're saying there really isn't anything at all that can combine 2 regular headphone inputs? Nothing at all?

There's a Presonus headphone distribution amp that has a pair of stereo inputs you can mix together and 6 headphone outputs with individual level controls. It goes for about $300. You could put together the stuff I listed for under $100. Take your pick.

I don't know where I am going to find used stuff on short notice. I don't mind putting together multiple things, but I basically need to get it shipped out to me as quickly as possible from a legitimate source...

Where do I even find cheap mixers that have 2 line inputs? I haven't SEEN any...

Look for a cheap DJ mixer. I don't know where you are but I found one for $40 on the Denver CL. Add $30 for the Behringer HA400 and maybe $30 for the cables.

If you want to get all DIY with it you can save the mixer money and build a simple summing cable using resistors.

Thanks for the help, everyone! What I finally decided to do is just combine the following 2 similar-looking items:

Amazon.com: Behringer MICROMIX MX400 4-Channel Mixer: Musical Instruments
Amazon.com : Behringer HA400 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amp : Musical Instruments

And bought the relevant 1/4-inch cables and 1/4-inch adapters for everyone.

The Micromix will only give you a monophonic output (meaning you'll need a mono-to-stereo adapter to get it into both ears of the headphones), but as long as you are ok with that ...

The Micromix will only give you a monophonic output (meaning you'll need a mono-to-stereo adapter to get it into both ears of the headphones), but as long as you are ok with that ...

EDIT: Whatever I'm dumb.

Try the ART Splitmix 4 instead of the Micromix.

I'm confused about this one. So I would still need the headphone amp for this, right? Like it will either function as one or the other but not both? I'm confused about why there are so many ports on it then...

Last edited:
I'm confused about this one. So I would still need the headphone amp for this, right? Like it will either function as one or the other but not both? I'm confused about why there are so many ports on it then...

Right. It's a passive mixer, which means you can send signal through it backwards and use it as a splitter, but it's got some disadvantages as a headphone distribution box. The HA400's active design is better.

Right. It's a passive mixer, which means you can send signal through it backwards and use it as a splitter, but it's got some disadvantages as a headphone distribution box. The HA400's active design is better.

But overall it will give me all the "advantages" of the Micromix (all I need it for is to independently control the 2 input's volumes and have stereo sound and not sound like total garbage in our ears), and should be fine?

$50 though... man. Aw well. Already placed the order.

I appreciate the help everyone's given me in this thread and in others. (even though it was mostly the same 2 people in all 3 threads. :D)

Just to be clear, I'm suggesting using the Micromix to combine the two headphone feeds and the HA400 to distribute the resulting mix to each pair of headphones. So you'd need both plus the cables.

Just to be clear, I'm suggesting using the Micromix to combine the two headphone feeds and the HA400 to distribute the resulting mix to each pair of headphones. So you'd need both plus the cables.

Wait wait, you meant ART Splitmix, right? I would use both the ART Splitmix and the HA400 but not the Micromix.

Either way, I already bought the HA400 and the Micromix anyway (stupid Amazon Prime and it's fast shipping) so assuming I understood you right I will be returning the Micromix and using the Splitmix. (and the HA400).

Back