Looking for a Laptop for Live Playing

motoslave

Hello. Newbie here, so please be patient. :)

I need to invest some money in a laptop for the purpose of playing live shows. It needs to be able to run Cubase\Reason (for Midi Controlling)\and I guess a small external box for two mics and a geetar. That is all I really know- I am really not hardware savvy in the least. I am pretty sure whatever laptop I pick up is going to need at least 1 Gig of memory and a hefty bit of ram, but I just do not know where to start outside of that.

Also, as far as guitars an mics, I know I will need some speakers probably for the mics, but will I need amps? My bandmate has a small amp for his guitar already but I am pretty sure we would need more. Also, the box in question from the above paragraph- do they make amps that can go from computers to insturments, or would I just be better off with a small mixer?

Any and all help is greatly apperciated! <3

I wonder if this post is being ignored due to the complexity of the question or because I am unaware that it is fake. Regardless, I like to yack, so here goes.

I think I am confused by the wording of your post.

From what I gather, you need, first and foremost, a PA system. A simple setup for amplifying mics, a keyboard (apparently), and guitars, to play in bars and whatnot.

You also need to do something with midi, which you want to process through a computer. Is this a midi controller keyboard, and it requires software and an interface to a compy to produce the actual music?

I'll let it go there for now, and wait for some clarification ont he arrangement of instrumentation and your needs :)

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not fake, so the only other conclusion is that I don't know what I'm talking about and am inarticulate. :)

I do have a midi controller keyboard.

Actually as of now (And largely due to the lack of replies, haha) I struck out and bought my own laptop anyways. Any advice on amps and/or external mixers I would need would still be great though. We have all the equipment in the world for recording in a studio but not much for playing live. To date, we have a midi controller keyboard, a laptop, one guitar amp, a big ole midi-controller foot bedal and two SM-58 mics.

Back