lixer with 2 instrument inputs + midi tracks - midi or analog mixer - US-224???

shawn gibson

I’ve mostly figured out the little studio I’m building, but I’m not sure what to do for a mixer. My inclination is the Tascam US-224; but I’d like some input. As for gear, I’ll be using Sonar 2.2XL and Fruity Loops hooked up together (through Directizer right now); I’ll be using a small compliment of VST effects, and hoping to get good quality MP3s burned to disc.

As for outer gear, it’s just an electric put through the Pod XT.

Occasionally, a mic for vocals if I need a singer. Basically, the most there will be on the mixer is the Pod and a mic, plus whatever is internal in the computer, I’m guessing just the stereo outs???

From a mastering point, I want a stereo mix out of all the Fruity loops tracks and the Sonar MIDI and recorded guitar/vocal tracks, in a manner that lets me record straight to the MP3 format (yeah, I don’t know what I’m talking about with mixers…).

I am hoping if I add a MIDI mixer with software for Sonar as part of the bundle, it will take a lot of the headache away for me, and get things functioning more like a regular mixer for me. If that isn’t going to happen, then do you think I should just get a decent analog mixer?

Any input would be welcomed.

Shawn:)

Shawn, there's a review of the Tascam US-224 in the November issue of Sound On Sound Magazine.
Another excellent source for information is to go to www.tascam.com and check in the "computer" forum.

I was planning to put my Tascam US-224 up for sale at e-bay in the near future. Please let me know within a week if you'd like "first dibs" on it. It was NEVER used and is like "brand new",
with the original box, manual, etc. This should give you enough
time to do the research you want to do on this unit.

It was purchased to begin learning about Pro Tools, as it works well with the Free Pro Tools program. A part-time assistant position at a local pro studio didn't pan out for me so it's no longer needed by yours truly, and I'm not too computer saavy anyway (to say the least!).

Send me a private message if you're interested, so that this thread doesn't get "too salesy". :)

Chris

Hiya, thanks for the reply. I am interested, but not in the timespan you've indicated, since I have to get the Pod and a Delta soundcard before the mixer...my buying time is around 6 weeks from now.

Just being prudent on the research end of things.

If it doesn't sell by then (can't see it NOT selling...) lemme know...

Thanks Chris:)

Shawn

Thanks Shawn.
FWIW, my Paypal account also accepts credit cards.
So...
Operators are standing by! :)

Seriously, will let you know if it's still available.

Chris

Back