the lexicon omega

rankmanugly

hey recording gurus,
im buying a lexicon omega setup.
what im wondering (if anyone knows about this thing) is:
will i need to buy a new soundcard aswell to make it so it works well enough to satisfy me?
i'd be recording into my laptop which is a AMD Sempron 2600 with 512MB RAM. the sound card is pretty crappy it think. im just not sure if the omega will use its own sound or will i be relying on my laptop sound card.
cheers heaps
Tom
ps. sorry i posted here, it wouldnt let me post under computer section.

hi...you wont need a soundcard, the omega IS a souncard and will bypass the crappy one on your laptop. ;)

in bios just disable onboard sound. but thats what soundcard are for, you definately wouldn't need a second card unless you had an actual reason for needing it (ie. more inputs, xlr in's etc)

im also wondering. does it have monitor outputs? i cant seem to see any in the specs....
what would be the best way to use monitors from this thing??

rankmanugly said:
im also wondering. does it have monitor outputs? i cant seem to see any in the specs....
what would be the best way to use monitors from this thing??

well i own it and it has a left and right out (1/4")

thats what i use to hook into my monitors

ah, someone who owns one...
how do you rate it nick the man. is it s good buy? im trying to devide whether to move into computer recording or get like a 16 track fostex or roland or something...
anything or any advice you can give me about it would be great
cheers

well for what i record it doesn really fit my needs

you can only record 4 tracks simultaneously sooo ... ya gotta judge for that

other than that it works pretty good but i knda suggest saving up like 200 more dollars and getting something like a firepod or something ..... that is only if you want to record more than 4 tracks at the same time

i dont know anything about a firepod, what can you tell me. i dort of feel that 4 will be enough to record my drummer. is the program good. no latency from the machine? im new to computer recording setups

rankmanugly said:
i dont know anything about a firepod, what can you tell me. i dort of feel that 4 will be enough to record my drummer. is the program good. no latency from the machine? im new to computer recording setups

oh if your only recording drums than this is probably perfect

to tell ya the truth ive never really understood what latency is so i couldnt tell ya

describe it to me and ill be able to tell you

im pretty sure latency is referring to, if you play something, say a chord on a guitar, is there a delay between playing the chord and hearing the result come out on the computer.

as for the firepod....does it have XLR and 1/4 inch inputs? i would be interested in recording a couple of XLR and a few normal jacks at the same time...

rankmanugly said:
im pretty sure latency is referring to, if you play something, say a chord on a guitar, is there a delay between playing the chord and hearing the result come out on the computer.

as for the firepod....does it have XLR and 1/4 inch inputs? i would be interested in recording a couple of XLR and a few normal jacks at the same time...

no there is no latency

and yes the firepod has 4 XRL/1/4" inputs and 4 1/4" inputs

cheers heaps for your help dude.
im in australia and i can buy the omega for $730 from a shop here, or pay $790 for firefox shipped over free from ebay, new.
i guess you would recommend the firefox.....
cheers for all your help

rankmanugly said:
cheers heaps for your help dude.
im in australia and i can buy the omega for $730 from a shop here, or pay $790 for firefox shipped over free from ebay, new.
i guess you would recommend the firefox.....
cheers for all your help

firefox?

wait let me find a link for the thing im talking about and then you can see if its the same thing

would a AMD Sempron 1.6Ghz be powerful enough for this or would i end up getting frustrated? it would suck if i ended up having to upgrade my laptop. its XP sp2 and 512RAM but only a sempron1.6

rankmanugly said:
would a AMD Sempron 1.6Ghz be powerful enough for this or would i end up getting frustrated? it would suck if i ended up having to upgrade my laptop. its XP sp2 and 512RAM but only a sempron1.6

nah i think that should do the trick .. i mean i only got a 2.4 in my CPU and it works good

but im not too sure

Back