latency/delay issues

junoavent

Brand-spanking new at this. Here's my junk. . .

Computer:
3700 AMD Athlong 64 processor
1 GB of RAM
Windows XP

Hardware:
Lexicon Omega Audio Interface

Software:
Tracktion 3 Ultimate Bundle

Here's the deal. . .when I go to record I get the dreaded "latency", a term I had never heard of a week ago. I've run the problem down to the monitor mix control on the Omega (my interface). When it's all the way to the left, it's in "Direct" mode which is live, zero-latency and sounds good and fine and dandy; that is, when I record my first track. When I go to listen to that track while recording another track, to hear those tracks, I have to turn the monitor mix control knob towards "Playback" (to the right). If I have it in the center between the two (Direct & Playback), the mix of what I'm playing live and what I've already recorded is the same. If it's at all on the side of "Playback", I get a delay when I go to record my new track. How do I avoide that?

Sorry for my ignorance, I hope I explained everything okay.

Later

Juno

With a fast computer and a modern audio/midi sequencer there should be only a minimal delay between the new track and already recorded track.

The key is to make sure you're using ASIO drivers. If your Omega didn't come with an install CD, google the Lexicon web site and find the most current drivers for the Omega.

Back