KSM44 or a KSM27

add another little shootout with the KSM44a, male voice with a beater SM58 or SM48.
both straight into the Interface with a cartoon Neve1073 and LA2A and the background busydrummer.

I think the 44 has some professional sound to it but the SM58dynamic with a little processing sounds fine for doing demo and messing about imo. maybe I dont have golden-ears? $1,000 vs $100.?

Its been interesting since checking stuff out with backing tracks and processing instead of just dry solo settings the results seem less drastic. maybe Im nits?

https://soundcloud.com/coolcatbro/ksm58shoot

yeah I guess mic's are like lawnmowers.

Well, the little things add up. A penny saved, is a penny earned ! Nice Studios seem only too happy to tell us what they got that we don't. haahah

POP/ROCK is probably ready for a new Wild Thing. What MIC would do the job ??

yeah I guess its like a guitar pickups and etc.. going through pedals and FX, it doesnt matter as much once you leave the "clean groove".
but the beater mic sounded pretty damn close and is probably a $40 mic..maybe $45 if I replaced the smashed 658 grill screen.
kind of a let down though, i mean for what im doing.

if a person is recording drum cymbals or flys fucking or orangutans whispering different mikes for sure...but for my small needs I might be looking into a GAP73 and a KT1176 or a WA2A and see if that is better than the Free PlugIns.

i was reading McCartney was using a sm57 on some of his rockier stuff on the RAM album, it does have that true grit vibe.

nothing new that a SM57 or 58 can work fine.

Well, they had overdrive at the preamps and on the tape, Funny, there's only one The Who - Run, Run, Run on the toob and it's not distorting enough

its funny in a frustrating way. the harmonics missing is called sterile and the distortion if too much is crap, starved plate etc.. but then tubes hivoltage running "correctly" is clean...so is that sterile? or is there a different mental spot in the brain for clean-tube vs clean chip vs clean forgotten era of transistors/discrete.?

so hmm? I went through 100 clean tests on preamps and decided in clean world the interface clean preamps were fkn fine. then I switched to mic chasing GAS and overwhelmed went to Shure Only because theres like 500 million mics today, so I focused on the SM57, SM7, the KSM series and I prefered the KSM series big time....

but then going to record some tunes the "tone life was missing" so on came the learning lessons about my Neve1073pre into the LA2A and overdriving sounding like that familiar old school tube compression fantasy island sound kind of, in a cartoon version for free, and then wonder now....

is the hardware better than the cartoon version and if so, is it $2000 better?

and I recall Brandons Rane MS1 ($51) preamp vs Martech MS1 ($2000) and not only was it about price, he actually put a Oscope to it and it was exact matching which even then, with that evidence in the courtroom, theres no $2000 price hike in Rane MS1 and the Martechs are selling fine for $2000.

so its a visual thing, a sales mental vibe thats worth the $1949 extra, and thats fine....its like the paint job on the sports car making it more attractive etc.. I get that, and thats cool because paint jobs are a part of the car and all that. And the Rane MS1 is the size of my table fork and even if a 1972 Ford Pinto with peeling paint can drive 55mph, I still might prefer the Martech with a nice paint job and working ac and Michelin tires and a bigger size trunk.

we had one of those Ford Pinto's, remember the gas tank was exposed so if you got rear ended it blew up, pretty wild.

but anyway, Ive got some shit to sell before I buy a $2000 mic preamp just to hear one, or maybe its just to see one and touch it?

hahah My cut and paste scrapbooks from the '60s are full of the compacts and wooly-bullies. A lot in common with the SR71 Blackbird spy plane. Analog design. If it looks(sounds) right, it is right

You've got clean, shouldn't you concentrate on dirt ? You should be able to overdrive all these amps up to around their input spec ?

Looking for my Run, Run, ditto file.....

EDIT; here it is - real distortion

EDIT; oh the toob version;
https://youtu.be/j4_UHD5GR0o

Attachments

• NEW01.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
through the laptop speakers all I could hear was the vocal and distorted guitar but Ive heard worse..or better distortion...bad as in cool distortion, and worse as in severe distoriton like bllown speakers ....run run run ....interesting lead/sound effect feedback.

been fixing the fence, its easier than choosing a mic and preamp or preamp plugin. distortion dirt is the goal. clean is good too, but even that is made more pleasent from sterile by overdrive trans tubes.

thinking of all the preamps I ate last year the hindisght is the Aphex107 was hifi in a good pro way, sparkle and that dude proved its ability with the best Quartet recording. You can find them for 75....but they dont work much past their 2ocolck and they dont have XLR and etc...etc.. so maybe the ARTMPA2+VLA 2A is the best deal...$400 for a pair used. ut they are cheap maybe the three year warranty is worth it.

been seeing a few of your Tube preamps from the gutted reel to reels that have a very cool big knob glow 60's vibe....
a huge ALTEC from the rack space is around $500 looks similar to my KLanghelm compressor sets which made gearslutz compressors top list plug.

i might rent a $2000 rack unit just to see, like Brandon already did with the Vintech73 that was last years fad on gearslutz, i think now its BAE replacing HEritage from the last 6 months of replica 1073 frenzy.

everyone should have one. Ive got one in my plug ins.

I found the looks of the 107 to be my style : ) I'm stuck with the ART DPS, though. Basically, my MICs only see acoustic and electric guitar. With my recent synth mania, I still haven't tested that last ribbon mic

yeah I wonder if you would get anything from the new AEA TRP or RPQ which seem to be getting great GAS play for Ribbons.

acoustic guitars can be elusive sounds, imo. sounding good in the room and sometimes like a tiny boxy tone through the mic to daw. i figure if a person can get an acoustic track right its probably harder than even a vocal with FX on it.

i was messing about and the Recording mag fell to the floor which was the release of the ART VLA, Sept 97 issue. Pretty much the same back then as the HR hopeful for a Fairchild or LA2A, all using the optical-compression.

VLA and Levelar got great reviews.According to that article the VLA can do everything a LA2A can do (it was an design copy somewhat), VLA a little cleaner spec/ less noise w/ ability to crank the knobs and go from Mastering Stereo clean to Vox distortion was possible. The cheaper Levelar's had fixed settings with a voice and acoustic intention 2ms or 200ms and 300 or 3000ms release ..in short less controls. Both having the circuit of the Optical Compression as the LA2A and Fairchild.

Attachments

• ART VLA.jpg
    ART VLA.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I had the rack levelar on my list for a time. The DOD came along at the right price .

Believe it or not I plan to use guitar in this synth stuff, so the new MIC may get a workout

you have a lot of pre's to choose from. ive been reading ART VLA, VLA2 to Adele UA6176 vs UA610mk2 to get an idea whats the deal? I already went through a bunch of pre's and the mics became center stage, but just did a $49 dry sterile clean mic shoot with KSM44 and no processing and while the condenser has something, the $49 Shure58? with a smashed screen isnt 10000miles away, so its confusing....would a $2000 pre/channel be expected to leap from a DAW + free plugs in this HR room? kind of a $3000 setup versus a 58+free plugs? wow...

https://soundcloud.com/coolcatbro/ksm-vs-49

I think for the test to be valid, you should be on a jet airplane. I know for my small amps sitting up on a TV tray, my ball-head Tascam is quick and dirty

like Layala from the champ amp...anything might work.
i might have to go 100% ITB and a $40 mic.....car ins up, house escrow up, taxes up, income down. the Economy must be using a really good compressor....a lot of squeeze going on, maybe 10:1 ratio.

The start of our Depression in 2007 is really putting the squeeze play into high gear. $20 bread may not be far off. I pretty much just have to worry about utilities and cat food, but savings are tuff. You'll want to plan on Rubles conversion rates when Putin takes over. hahah

Ya, I've been fairly impressed with what Magix gives me to work with in a $100 DAW. they get me some "trick" pieces every so often wanting me to buy the rest of the packages, but I'm good to go. I've didn't bother with the Behringer stuff (yet), but I've yet to try the W1 limiter I downloaded Feb. 12. I felt I didn't have limiter choices. Looking at 64-bit toy box.

I still would like to hear a MPA/VLA combo, in dirty settings...according to the first review the VLA can crunch it like the LA2A just a bit cleaner in dirt and rfi noise. sometimes I wonder how much of the new toy placebo is replaced with the "other" strange toy.
my brains burnt from all of it going up and down, one day it sounds fabukous next time a 58 with a smashed grill is 97% there? wtf?

i thought it was water thats getting bought up and will be sold at $60 a gallon, not Milk. Your in Arizona you dont need grass in the yard, its illegal anyway. i hope Im wrong but the fossil fuel shortage might come back and gas zooms to $4.00 gal again..lol
ZeitGeist the Movie.

Well, it's the same for me buying knives, I can find a old Sabatier chef knife at the recycle for $2. I bought one new nice kitchen knife, but I don't need a new chef knife for $300, when the old pitted Sabatier works like a champ. I recently bought a $70 fighting knife when I went to buy a $30 fighting knife, but that was a "gift" to myself : ) H ahaha The next one was a $7 pocket knife. IV'e yet to find anyone to knife fight yet

You never know when there will be a Levelar fight brewing

Though the ART was on my list, the DOD 866 came along at the right price. The DOD and some VST and there is hidden magic ! I haven't found it yet, but its there - next to the Lost Dutchman Mine

Attachments

• kbar.jpg
    kbar.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 26
the VST is probably all anyone needs these days, so maybe just get some rack gear and leave it unplugged but have knobs the turn and get a placebo effect.

if I got the mono version of the MPA /VLA its only $24 for the MP and $60 for a leVaLAr....?

Attachments

• ART MONO.jpg
    ART MONO.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 6
A single lavalar might be fun. A fair amount of my exports are MONO and you can process one channel/track as you desire

Back