KSM44 or a KSM27

CoolCat

If anyone is wondering a little more about the Shure KSM mics heres one more opinion.

I stumbled on a KSM27 used months ago, it was like a wow find. (cheap+good)
The build just says quality when you feel it. The weight, the metal build, the Shure toughness is all there. I read they drop tested these in the design phase like all Shure tough mics. The LDC took my 1qty Mic locker spot and the others sold. $130 or something, with shockmount ($$$). KSM series in Used-Cheaper land.

gearheadness lead to reading about it and soon it was the KSM44 that many studio owners said pleasant things about. The KSM27 was kind of unknown or not discussed. The KSM32 would be a favorite to some.
In order to answer the question for myself I grabbed a 44 to compare to my 27. They had the same capsule I understood, "how can they sound that different?" go to recordinghacks! the mic smithsonian, Hacks had it answered better than Shure did. RPM131 and RPM141 capsule p/n. Not a big mystery except to other novice users like myself. in short 44 is a Dual Diaphragm capsule and the 27 is a Single. this is a known effect of proximity, thats the big difference. etc..etc.. the capsules are very very similar but different. :D

I finally landed a 44 without the accesories for $368 (with shockmuont $150 included).
Going "clean" into the Reaper test tracks the difference was very subtle with both mics in cardioid mode.
thats where I live 99%. (i had to listen to OMni and 8 on the 44 too but the Cardioid seemed best, imo)
doing the normal test1,2,3,4,5,6,7a,b,c,d,e,f, sssss,,,shhhhhssshhhh tests all I can say is there was a subtle difference.

which one will I keep? im not sure yet. (no pun intended)

Attachments

• KSMmics2744.jpg
    KSMmics2744.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 49
Pt 2- week 2. continued...

The higher output Shure KSM LDC mics need no outboard preamps for my interface.
Spec jive: KSM 27 is 14mV/pa, the KSM44 in 28.2mV/pa....(compare to Low Output SM7/SM57/SM58 are 1.2 to 1.8 mv/pa. )This is technically why no outboard preamps are needed. Im on the soft sound source mode aka Voice and Acoustic instrument.

Mic Shootout-
1)Ran the KSM44 and 27 into the interface preamp clean =Here the biggest difference is noticed.
2)Ran the KSM44 and 27 into <gear/eq/comp/pre..>...... = the mics differences became much less.

Ending for today-
SOUND: Seems the 44 has something a little smoother, its subtle but for a lazy dude this means less work later in the mix. I read this even in old posts on HR when the KSM's were born. I have to agree. Actually almost everything Ive read about both these mics I agree with.
COST:KSM27 is half price, 2qty for one!..buy the foam piece for both. repeat KSM27 needs the AW32S Foam...or equivalent foam. Its a Shure Built professional mic so theres that confidence too. It would probably do fine live with the SM58,SM57 in the mic suitcase.

clips: KSM44 interface-pre, KSM27 same, 44 +Rane, 44+JoeMeekVC3, 44+PlugNeveLA2A, 44+10Db boz/DaveBendeth.....the other one is just the KSM44 vs 27 into a clean preamp.(the 27 had nudge of gain, the 44 centered on the gain knob...very nice and a quiet place)

upon playing these back, I wonder wtf am I doing? do these sound really really really different than a million other mics? hmmm? are they built better...yea, but the KSM44 is a $1000 mic. Just because I got it for $368 or $500 is used doesnt hurt the flavor. Makes me wonder if I could tell in a blindfold test?:guitar:

time to get the guitar out for pt 3 and the close,

Attachments

• postedKSM44 27 mic with preampsMP3.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • KSM44 vs 27 clean.mp3
    979.6 KB · Views: 23
  • SHURE CAPSULE.png
    SHURE CAPSULE.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 16
I had to go back to the clean file. I liked the last contestant, but would be happy with either on your voice : )

haha contestants. well put.

i got a little recording time. the KSM44 seemed just easier to use imo. acoustic, vocal, slapping the guitar for percusion, the shakers. It took the vocals easier and guitar than the 27. ..ghost of Bill Monroe?
But its like its eq'd different is all from the 27. I dont know how they do microphones and eq or change tones but the 44 worked really easy imo, I like it. Im lazy and impatient when it comes to tracking right?
KSM44>preamp interface>DAW....added some Klanghelm compression(presets). Rendered at 320kpbs MP3 to Foobar 24/44.1k

maybe the Dual Diaphragm is a real thing? the U87 is Dual and some say the 44 sounds a little more like it. Ive never heard a U87 but its a vocal mic an Dual Diaphragm. hmmm?
So that ends this I think. I like the 44 its worth the extra $$.
The other Shure mics go into the Stratosphere from the KSM44 flagship....the Shure Ribbons spelt with a $$$$.

the KSM27 is probably built tougher in the face mesh. the 57 vs 58 grill, is very similar to the 44 adn 27 grilles.

Attachments

• KSM44 BIPBOP chopped.mp3
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • KSMpic.png
    KSMpic.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 10
Saturday must of been alright if your Bip Bop is on. I'm just doin' toaster waffle breakfast. So, on the clean clip, you start with the 44 ? I can set two $70 Nady LDC next to each other and have dual. hahah

Dig that last clip. Got to get me a "juice" & harp sample up some virtual high-step( inspired porch music) Jug band samples

yeah in a way the jug is more fun, less hassle and any movement is good.
hell a bowel movement is something, a porch movement better dance riff is ok.

not to sound like Brandon, but a person can wonder with all the choices these days what does it take for a microphone to be deemed a "U87" design or a vocal mic? The Behringer B2 $149 is dual diaphragm. ..looks a lot like the U87 even more. Amazing Behringer didnt out a purple label on it.

anyway, yes it was enjoyable bipbopping....the simple Mic>Interface>hit record was so simple it was almost analog like. No plugs , no eq, nothing.....like when it used to be with a MIC>Mixer>Tape.

recording brings a lot of respect in perspective for the real-pros who kept their chops up. I couldnt even do a lead track because Im beyond RUSTY!!! Im CRUSTY! daaaang....

hahah. I have had a guitar out for a week, but I'm not trimming my nails just to figure this Peavey out. The Modeler on a stick thing. The far left knob is the amp and I try to keep it at 0.50 (out of 13.00). I see it's at 0.80, because I could crank it 0.30 after saving a "Classic" preset with gain down - Something manageable to boot into : ) I'd have trouble with chords up the neck on my acoustics. haha

Ya, the keep it simple acoustic guitar can be refreshing - hit record, just like on tape. I might have moved the bip to the mp3 folder, if it didn't just fade out like that !

i was reading Joey Strugis and how he goes through each guitar strum or lead riff deleting harmonics and tiny details.
I couldnt do that type work, geez.

Since its Sunday, I say that's what god sent him here to do : ) There's no checkbook to balance every month, so I guess one has to take it somewhere. hahah In contemplation, I conclude my Solo track would be silent. Masterful

Listening to the KSM44 vs 27 clip this morning, I can hear the 800hz nasal tone is removed from the Acoustic and Male vocal with the 44. Theres a lower full range on the KSM27 that my nasal boom gets, the acoustic guitar gets that too like a port hole area of freq. I can see how the Dixie Chics were ok with the KSM27 as a vocal mic, they dont have the male 800hz nasal thing, its eq'd out in their natural voice probably. KSM44 it is then.

Today Im going to conclude the testing by tossing the KSM down some steps and running it over a few times with my car. Other than that its cool.

next contestant please........

Attachments

• KSM44wins (2).png
    KSM44wins (2).png
    384.5 KB · Views: 4
That's cool. It won't be the same, by any stretch, but I can notch that with the parametric before it hits the track . A truly oppressive amount of work : )

Imagine Monroe on the 44 ?

sure you can. thats why brandon ended with a Rane MS1>Ashly $150 eq, and a kid.... I think the kid had a lot to do with the expensive gear, I know it did here. ahahaa Drawmer Mic Pres or Diapers Huggies....ahahaa

If I was going to spring for something half outstanding, it might very well be a Guild 6-string rather than recording gear. Brandon was playing the sub-$300 Agile. hahah I'm gonna' plug in that Peavey and see if I can get anything out of it

I wanted to add to this comparison....this time I thought! in a more real recording world scenario!!!
....so I slapped the two mics, KSM44 and KSM27 into the interface and processed it real time, neve1073, LA2A, slapback into a couple tracks...and then added the drums and a bass!!!
...the guitarist was out to lunch to some deli sandwich shop...

but it was just a test, to hear a $1000 mic(retail) and a used- $150 ksm27.....processed. being of the same family there was no eq used to give some differential tones to emrge from within the housing of the capsule.
i think they both sound great...but one has to go....because I only have one mouth.

audio shootout KSM brothers

https://soundcloud.com/coolcatbro/ksm-shootouteditshort

Attachments

• KSM shootoutEDITshort.mp3
    7.6 MB · Views: 7
Redefining multi-track. Never-the-less, What are the odds of you keeping the 44 ? hahah

I found I was listening to the bell hits

My ref. bell hits are old u67 recordings : ) So far out here, Corkscrew (the cat) has the best voice. As it is, they wait until I'm dead tired and hitting the sack

What brand were the plugs ?

that was the most fun, the damn plugs and the overdriving the LA2A input.
its like learning some old school thing finally....and going damn thats it....thats how they get that compressed sound without being blobmush.

i recall a stones song ....cant you hear me knocking riff was like that, for years it never sounded right, then a youtube was "weird tuning" and bingo...there it was, the riff.....from Keefs telecaster.

i can still here a little clarity in the 44 but damn having the processing and foam on the 27 is a game changer.
I only paid like $360 for the 44 so $150...$350...not a house payment etc..I do only need one.

my sons stuff sounds as good with processing and a Shure 48....once in the squash patch maybe a lot of mics can work better?

drink some more coffee....stay up....get the Tascam talking to the Behringer....
I got the Symertix here but dont even think I'll need it....damn...impulse buying!!

..."and the overdriving the LA2A input".

It is not just plugs, or, compressors : ) Or, restricted to Musical. haha

got a chance to plug in two more synths to explore the mixer. The casio can do drums and I can get them half cooking. It's not studio grade effects , but there's enough there along with the compressor knob

Anyway, I've been thinking selling the 44 is more of a ticket to new gear

Back