KRK V4 or Rokit 6???

MikeDMusic

I have around $400 to spend on near field monitors give or take $50-100. I have heard good things about the KRK Rokit 6's and I have demo-ed them at a nearby music store...they sounded pretty clean and full and I've heard they translate well to most other speaker systems (that's the goal right?)...but I was wondering about the KRK V4's they are the same price, smaller, but with a kevlar woofer instead of glass aramid. Beside's size and power that is the only difference about the monitors that I have found. I was just wondering how much the kevlar woofer would change the sound and if it would be worth it to sacrifice the "oomph". If anyone has any good suggestions for me, about these monitors or about any other monitors anyone could recommend I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
Mike

25 or 6 to 4

my vote is the RP6"...the V4" will require a sub if your recording music.

Bass is "pushing air" and how much air can you "push" with a 4"??

I read ~6.5" is the best for Nearfield (3-4ft) small home recording, correct throw of woofer, etc...
I agree now.
I tried some RP8's, awesome speaker- great price at $175ea,
but it was just too much for my Nearfiled. In a larger room, be fhkng great.
6.5". So $350pr, went back.

the Kevlar thing intrigued me too..
i saw some Sony small bookshelfs for $24.99 each that were kevlar?
"yellow' cone and thought???$$$=Kevlar= No.
the definition i read of the aramid sounds the same as the kevlar?woven glass and whatever.

MOST IMPORTANT!!
don't forget some crappy, little plastic computer speakers to be your
"modern day Auratones or NS10's!!!" so you can A/B to the modern day average listener's home enviroment.

this will be a growth area, i figure Home PC's will start having better and better audio systems hooked up to them....maybe RP6's- HiFi verions!
alot of room for improvement in the pc/audio speaker arena.
my 2 cents....

I had an opportunity to A/B the KRK V4’s against my Yamaha MSP5’s
A few Months back.
My room’s very small so I only require one set of killer monitors.
To my ears the V4’s beat my Yamaha’s hands down.
For what it’s worth, I’ve got a set on order that should be here soon.

CGibson

I got the Rp6 last week. I may return them though.. Im not satisfied.. The bass is great.. but the midfield range lacks definition and the sound overall seems a bit muddy.. Elements that I can hear clearly on my friends yamaha msp5a barely show up on the KRK Rp6.

Anyway, I do like them, but I dont think Im going to keep them.. not enough definition for me.

I've been using the V4s for about 8 months now. I can't say enough good things about them. You can listen to them for hours without pain, they translate well, they supply an adequate amount of bass for mixing - especially rock, folk, country, pop, acoustic, and they take up very little space. They truly are nearfields...they perform best close to you and in a normal room. They are accurate. They are affordable.

The size is deceiving. They produce a full sound, but more importantly, a genuine sound. I find them to be very flat and wonderful to work with. I've worked extensively with the old KRK Rockits (The odd shaped ones) which were powered externally. The self propelled V4s are clearly superior to my ear.

As for bass: You can always add a sub, which was my plan, but so far I've found that unnecessary. I find the bass output adequate for the music I create, which includes acoustic music and a good deal of electronica. (My brand of the genre isn't bass heavy, however. Clubbers and rappers will want the sub).

Another interesting point about the V4s: Well recorded CDs sound great played on the V4s. Contemporary pop (insert crappy teeny bopper pop band/"artist" here) that seems mastered for playback in a "Barbie Boombox" sounds crappy. To me this indicates a substantial level of the accuracy they provide. (Ry Cooder's Paradise and Lunch serves as my litmus test. Now that's a sound.)

I'm rambling...

i went to guitar center today and was looking at the krk rockits.. they seemed pretty nice. how do the warfedales & bx8s compare to them?? one of the guys working there told me the krks are much better than the bx8s..

articles of interest?

just read an old Home Recording article May 2003.
comparing the Yamaha MSp5/SUB, KRK V4/S8, Blue SkyProDesk.

V4/S8 was mentioned as "designed in".
Noted the S8 =Sub has High Pass at 80hz fixed.

V4/S8 won in sound quality but pricey..
with Blue Sky chosen as THE pick due to price
(-$650 lower than KRK, Blue Sky made in China),
Yamaha as excellent too..sub connections poor.

not a big article, but thought it might be of interest. All 3 rated well.

I have a pair of V4 Series 2 monitors and they sound great! It's true that you really can't "push" the bass with a 4" cone, but they are great for a second set of monitors. I use Mackie HR824 for my main monitors and the KRK V4 for my secondary source. Though I have found the Mackie's to be a little bass heavy, but all in all, a great combo! :D

Mikeeley said:
i went to guitar center today and was looking at the krk rockits.. they seemed pretty nice. how do the warfedales & bx8s compare to them?? one of the guys working there told me the krks are much better than the bx8s..
If there's one thing to not listen to the guys at GC about, it's monitors. I've been monitor shopping there off and on for the past 6 months or so (at three different stores), and all they do is push push push on those RP's. They must have a lot of overstock or a special deal with KRK or something because they'll hardly consider any other monitor in the place unless you specifically (and repeatedly) ask about a specific brand/model. Then they'll tell you that the RP's are better.

I have the exact same setup as O.D.R.S., and I also like the V4 series 2 very much. They can put out a surprising amount of bass, but I'd want a sub if they were my only speakers. Still, I'm very happy with them.

When I got them I planned to listen on the Mackies primarily, and check on the V4's. As it is turning out, I like listening mostly on the V4's and checking on the Mackies!

Back