Korg D1600?

Treeline

I have G.A.S. Any YMMV input on this unit? Looking at 16 tracks, 40 Gig, CD burner. Touch screen is interesting. I would plan to supplement it with some basic preamps (M-Audio or Blue Tube), and ability to swap .wav files is a plus. I have not heard a Korg.

Does the DPS16 have a burner available? I could't find one. It seems to be about a hundred less, great specs, people are raving about it, but I do need a burner. Any thoughts? How easy is it to get running on the unit? Will it accept a "Staples special" generic outboard burner?

OK, edit time.

Thanks, Darrin, for suggesting this. I've answered a few of my own questions.

1. No burner but not difficult to add an external unit.
2. Local people are using words like "intuitive" to describe it.
2. Staples is up the street; why don't I just go there and look... (Hey - good Idea. Glad I thought of it).

And last, but not least,

My local store ( www.guitarsam.com ) with whom I intend to do business if there is any way I can, just happens to have one sitting on the shelf, and its owner uses one.

Last edited:
Well Darrin, I wouldn't say that a Korg D1600 isn't as good as the Akai DPS16, it just focusses on different things. For instance, the touch screen is really useful, it has a bigger harddrive, its internal effects are a bit better (especially the verbs and limiters), only thing what really sucks is that it only has 1 aux send. The Akai has 4 I believe.

Treeline, check both (DPS16 and D1600) and see what fits you best. These are the 2 best buys currently in the sub$1500 16-track market. Roland sucks and Fostex too (data compression, worse pre's, limited internal effects, preset EQs on Fostex....etc. etc.)
If you HAVE the money, go for a Yamaha AW4416 or the new Akai DPS24 (that's THE MUTHA! :cool: ;) ), but otherwise the Korg or 16 track Akai will do fine.

Well, the numbers are proving you right. The DPS16 uses an SCSI interface and the best price I've seen on an SCSI CDR/W is about $300. That brings the package with a 20 G drive and the external CDR to about $1700. Still competitive and its the only thing I've seen recording 8 tracks, uncompressed data, at 24 bit / 96 mHz with onboard audio compression, eq and four effects on each track.

Now for the $1700...:rolleyes:

Mars makes me nervous. I'll pass, thanks. You do have a good point, though, that this unit seems to be moving at discounts.

I understood that moving tracks directly can be a complete pain. There's no USB, I don't have a SCSI interface, and so forth.

I was thinking of picking up an M-Audio Delta 44 as well, and I suppose I could send four tracks at a time through the AUX circuits on the DPS16. The Delta doesn't have a preamp, so there's no layered noise from that... Whaddaya think?

That unit is 16 tracks, 32 if you bounce them just once with no loss. complex orcestrations can be achieved without leaving the box. It is really all that you will need. I do have an audiophile sound card and sound forge and a 40x burner. in the computer.

Also an effects rack to put the signal through.

What's the best way to get the signal into the computer, if I don't spring for the external CD/R? Would it be through using the AUX sends, or sending a stereo mix? What interface do you use to connect the two boxes?

I'd love to be able to import individual tracks and mix down on n-track, but as you pointed out, the box can do a throrugh mixdown. How do I connect the two?

Thanks, all, by the way. This is helping out a bunch!

Hey All,
F.Y.I.- Mars Music went bankrupt last Friday.
The Akai DPS16 is out of production. Kinda scarry??

I ordered my Korg d-1600 from Sweetwater today. I was looking at the DPS16 and Yamaha4416. Obviously, the 24-bit recording is why I was looking at those two also. Didn't like the DPS16 "disappearing" from the market. Heard it is a dream to operate and sounds great. The Yamaha sounds very confusing, and some of them "crapping out" a bit.

I'm hoping that with my stellar mixing/ear skills, I'll be able to produce some pleasing tracks with the 16-bit machine. I also ordered the Aphex 207 limiter/mic-pre. Sounds like a very nice piece to have.

Did I pay too much for the Korg? $1,478.
Peace,
titan

Treeline said:
What's the best way to get the signal into the computer, if I don't spring for the external CD/R? Would it be through using the AUX sends, or sending a stereo mix? What interface do you use to connect the two boxes?

I'd love to be able to import individual tracks and mix down on n-track, but as you pointed out, the box can do a throrugh mixdown. How do I connect the two?

Thanks, all, by the way. This is helping out a bunch!

I'd wholeheartedly recommend you get the USB based UA-1A Audio Capture from EDIROL That product rocks and is as easy as can be to install. The sound is pristine. No loss of signal at all. Ok, granted, it's 16 bit but that didn't deter me at all from buying it. I got mine and I haven't regretted the decission. It's cheap too ! Thats the reason I was gonna but the "stripped" down KORG D12 cause I already have a way of mixing down to my cd burner via USB. Hope this helps.

Daniel

Hello Titanship,

I just may have misinterpreted your post, but it sounded like you are saying that the Korg D1600 only has 16 bit recording. If that is what you are saying, it actually has the option of 16 or 24 bit. The only drawback is that when recording in 24 bit, you only can use 8 tracks instead of 16. If you knew that already....sorry...if not, hope it helps..:)

God Bless!

First off, I'm new to the digital end of things, but I have been spending a lot of time researching DAWs in the $1-2000 price range. One point I've run across that you might consider: not all
24-bit machines have *dithering*, which reduces things down to the necessary 16-bit for recording--with no signal loss. I know that the Yamaha 4416 is one of the few machines in this price range that offers this feature, and that the difference *can* be noticable. In fact, I've read a few articles that actually question the usefulness--to many folks and some types of music--of 24-bit recording in the currently 16-bit final realm.

I'll let others, who know more than me, get into this further if necessary. No name-calling, please--I'm new to this world.

Best,
J.

Thanks, Jeffree

I'd already been there, but like they say, it pays to read twice. Lots of stuff there I had missed earlier.

I'm getting distracted by the DPS24. Damn, this is getting serious. Yesterday I downloaded the manual and actually printed the thing out. Seems everywhere I find a compromise, the answer is the DPS24. :confused:

Back