Issue with JBL LSR 2300!

Christianagrill

Hi everyone,

I have a pair of the above monitors. All has been fine up until the last few days.
The sounds coming from the left monitor was in and out (which i assumed was a bad cable)
Anyway, i was fiddling around at the back of the speaker and hit the voltage switch (monitor was on) there was a loud screech so i quickly shut it off. Now it will not power back up. The right monitor is working fine/as per usual.

Is it possible i have “Blown” the speaker? It seems compltely dead now, i have unplugged and replugged all cables.. worries i just ruined my monitor? :(

Thanks in advance !!

Possibly toast but not necessarily anything you did. One of my 5” monitors from that series started making a horrible buzz. I considered finding a used one at GC to replace it after getting info from the JBL service center that their usual service assuming nothing like a loose wire would be to replace the entire amp section at a cost much higher than the speaker was worth.

I did disassemble and nose around enough to convince myself there wasn’t anything loose and that it was beyond my abilities to diagnose. So I just bit the bullet and got new monitors. Maybe you’ve got better access to tech help than I had...

I have a new pair of LSR 305's still in boxes for several months. Just after purchase, I read of such issue like Keith described.

I may like to go with a pair of the next series from JBL's, but will wait to see if failure issue is resolved. As far as my new JBL LSR 305's, I am reluctant to even set them up. Not sure what I'll do with them.

So sorry about both of your disappointments--JeffF.

Last edited:
I read a review from a purchaser from retailer speak about this.

I can look for the retail site (review)--only 2 retailers I deal with--if you'd like. Basically, the party expressed hope that JBL would fix apparently a common power failure issue with the series.

Sincerely, JeffF.

Last edited:
Hello Keith,

I did not find the consumer review as these monitors are phased out with the retailer site where I believe I read aforementioned post, so that model's reviews are no longer showing, of course.

However, I did a topic search on the monitors with the word “failure” and found this of interest: JBL LSR305 no power, loud bang, defective repair. - Gearslutz. I apologize for the titling of their site.

You may also find of insight the 2014 entry review (highlighting the models' attributes): JBL LSR305 & LSR308 |.

Thanks for your insightful comments to my questions in the past, JeffF.

Everything is going to have some failures, and the lower cost items, possibly as much by virtue of selling more, might have numerically more reported failures. Only JBL/H-K knows for sure, but those have been a big seller. I know people that have been using them for years w/o problems.

Me, I decided to give Yamaha a chance when I replaced my pair of 2335’s. I don’t have any reason to think they’re necessarily better quality - it’s another entry level system that would be doomed by just about any failure. When I can spend $2k on a pair I’ll have different expectations.

Hello Keith,

Your "numerical" point is well taken. A company's reputation is their most valuable asset and not to be treated lightly--my take away from your insights. Thank you.

Separately, if you received several of the same PM a few days ago, I apologize: I did not realize the Show in Sent Box feature needed to be selected each time sending a PM. I am not well-familiarized with forums in general. Even common text abbreviations are awkward for me. Please overlook any inconvenience.

Most appreciative of your insights--a good life lesson found, JeffF.

Back