Inserts question (Just got a Yamaha MG12/4 mixer)

Outlaws

I know inserts are for effects, but if it is a TRS output to a TS and R cable on the other side, then the insert has to be unbalanced...right? -10dB

So I could theoredically use this as to send my tracks to a quad reel (RCA ins/outs), and then return to the mixer for mixing/monitoring/mastering...?

My mixer doesn't have all the fancy things used to skip having to re-patch a ton. Just trying to see if I lucked into something with these inserts.

(oh, by the way)

This mixer is soooo much cooler than my Roland 1680 now that I can play with real knobs. I am using EQ now that I don't have to spend half the day pressing buttons to get to it. Plus these seem to change the sound a bit more than before. :D

I own the same Yamaha mixer, and I used the Inserts as Direct Outs of sorts, no return, just to gain additional mic inputs to my old setup. I do believe that an insert cable is unbalanced, but I don't have any definitive answer.
The only issue I could see with your setup would be the return level doubling up(not sure of the term) the track level, but that may not be the case. Best of luck to you with the mixer!

Ben

Oh yeah, the sends are pre-fader. Not sure if you knew, so just mentioning that for the record.

Fireal402 said:
Oh yeah, the sends are pre-fader. Not sure if you knew, so just mentioning that for the record.

Ya. Thats what I like about it. I can record at level and still mix everything at the same time for tracking, mixing, and mixdown.

I could probably figure out if this setup will work, but don't want to go by a snake of inserts unless I have a good idea it will work properly.

Back